Windlesham House School
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||01276, some 01344|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||Surrey Heath|
Windlesham is a village in the Surrey Heath borough of Surrey, England and civil parish that covers Bagshot and Lightwater in the same borough. Its name derives from the Windle Brook which runs south of the village into Chobham and the common suffix 'ham', the Old English word for 'homestead'.
Today Windlesham is a community with many estates and various clubs. With easy access to the A30 (London Road), a few major motorways, two nearby train stations and Heathrow Airport, it can be classed as a commuter town/village. It has one church, St John the Baptist, the Windlesham Club and Theatre and six public houses.
The neighbourhood has yielded bronze implements, now in the Archaeological Society's Museum, Guildford, and a certain number of neolithic flints..
This corner of the county appears, from absence of notice in Domesday, to have been very sparsely inhabited. Of Windlesham, Malden wrote:
The old road had been the source of great prosperity in Bagshot till it was superseded by the railway. Thirty coaches a day passed through, and there were many inns, since closed. The most interesting history of the place is in connexion with Windsor Forest, and its bailiwick in Surrey. The tenure of Bagshot in the Red Book of the Exchequer is per serjentiam veltrariae, i.e. providing a leash of hounds. The later history is full of the exploits of highwaymen, who found the wild country hereabouts specially favourable for their purposes.
The Inclosure Act of 1812 inclosed much of Bagshot Heath, and also inclosed the common fields of Windlesham. (fn. 3) Inclosure had begun before, for in 1768 the lords of the manors and the freeholders gave land inclosed from the waste for charitable purposes.
Windlesham Manor appears among the manors granted to Westminster by Edward the Confessor in his foundation charter. It was apparently transferred to the small local Broomhall Convent at an unknown date.
Newark Priory had a grant of land in Windlesham in 1256, and had the advowson (right to appoint the vicar) of the church. Joan Rawlyns, Prioress of Broomhall, made a voluntary surrender of the property of her house in 1522 before the 1538 Dissolution of the Monasteries. In the next year Windlesham was granted to St. John's College, Cambridge, who still held it in 1911
In 1911 the village was due to the heath, see Surrey Heath, described as almost entirely modern, in much the same way as Wentworth, Surrey's landscape was tamed approximately at the turn of the 20th century, being naturally heather, gorse and fern and ideal for grass and laid out evergreen trees.
There are four schools in the Windlesham area, two of which are in the village itself: Valley End First School and Windlesham First School. Woodcote House School is also in the area.
Recreation and Social Events
Field of Remembrance
The village field is home to one of the local recreational parks and includes a play area. Many village events take place on the field, one of the most well known being the Windlesham Fête. The field is also used in the summer months by Windlesham Cricket Club. It also hosts a remembrance day service, where a boy from Woodcote House plays the last post.
Windlesham is known for its annual pram race in which teams race around the village and drink at every pub. This usually happens every Boxing Day. The race normally starts at 10am at the old headquarters of The BOC Group. Dedicated runners run to all the pubs in the village and finish in the centre at a pub called 'The Sun'.
Windlesham has a thriving running club, Windle Valley Runners, suitable for all standards of runner. The club meets every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday for group training sessions and group runs, which take place in Windlesham and the surrounding areas. Windle Valley Runners compete in the winter Thames Valley Cross Country League. They also organise a monthly 10K race for members.
Valley End is a hamlet and chapelry in the Borough of Surrey Heath in Surrey, England 0.5 miles (0.80 km) east of Windlesham, so similarly is about 15 minutes drive from the South West Main Line at Woking to the southeast and from Sunningdale on the Waterloo to Reading Line to the north.
Valley End has two churches, St Saviour which was built in 1867 by the English architect George Frederick Bodley and Emmanuel Baptist Church. St Saviour's is built in red and brown brick with stone dressed windows. The interior is a simple mixture of brick and stone. There is a Holy Communion service every Sunday at 9am.
The Valley End Cricket Club was founded in 1895.
The Arboretum and the mansion of Updown Court
Windlesham Arboretum is situated near the village but on the opposite side of the M3 motorway. In July 2007, the most expensive house in the world, Updown Court, was situated in Windlesham and valued at £75m (138 m USD). This 103-room mansion has 58 acres (230,000 m2) of gardens and woodlands.
- Dr Brian May, composer, guitarist and astrophysicist, key to the rock band Queen
- Brian Blessed, Actor, Adventurer and Broadcaster. currently resides in Windlesham.
- Glen Hoddle, England football manager
- Sarah, Duchess of York
- HM The Queen lived in Windlesham at one time.
- Andrew Ridgeley, musician of Wham was born in the nursing home that was along Hatton Hill, Windlesham.
- Edward Baigent was an early emigrant to Nelson, New Zealand and he was later elected to its Parliament.
- Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle of Windlesham Manor
- Agatha Christie at Ribsden
- Lady Elvey at The Towers
- Sir Joseph Hooker F.R.S., &c., &c. at The Camp
|Commons has media related to Windlesham.|
- Population figures (PDF)
- St John the Baptist Church, Windlesham
- Updown Court
- Pram Race
- Windlesham Cricket Club
- Windle Valley Runners