Church of Sant'Ambrogio
(Chiesa di Sant'Ambrogio)
The façade of Sant'Ambrogio
Allegedly built where Saint Ambrose would have stayed when in Florence in 393, the church is first recorded in 998. The first building is thought to date from the 8th century, as a chapel of a nunnery built in honour of the saint.
Francesco Granacci (1469–1543), an Italian painter of the Renaissance and lifelong friend of Michelangelo Buonarroti, is buried in this church.
The church contains numerous frescos, altarpieces, and other artwork attributed to Andrea Orcagna, Agnolo Gaddi, Niccolò Gerini, Lorenzo di Bicci, Masaccio, Filippo Lippi, Sandro Botticelli, Alesso Baldovinetti, Mino da Fiesole, Cosimo Rosselli, Fra Bartolomeo, and many other artists.
- Cesati, Franco (2002). Le chiese di Firenze. Rome: Newton Compton.