Players Choice Awards
- 1 Awards for one player in all of Major League Baseball
- 2 Awards for a player in each league
- 3 Award for Player of the Decade
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The Players Choice Awards are given following a secret ballot by players. Four awards go to a player in each league, while two awards each go to one player in all of Major League Baseball. Prize money is donated to a charity of each winner's choice.
The first Players Choice Awards were given in 1992, to the Comeback Player in each of the two major leagues. There were no other awards that year. In 1993, the Comeback Player awards were replaced by an Outstanding Player award for each league. In 1994, two more categories were added: Outstanding Pitcher (in each league) and Outstanding Rookie (in each league). In 1997, the dual Comeback Player awards were again named, along with the first ever single award — the Man of the Year — for one player in all of Major League Baseball. In 1998, a second non-dual award was added, Player of the Year. In addition, the Man of the Year award was renamed in honor of Marvin Miller, former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association. In 1999, a special Player of the Decade award was given.
Awards for one player in all of Major League Baseball
Player of the Year
This award was first given in 1998.
|1998||McGwire, MarkMark McGwire||St. Louis Cardinals|
|1999||Martínez, PedroPedro Martínez||Boston Red Sox|
|2000||Delgado, CarlosCarlos Delgado||Toronto Blue Jays|
|2001||Bonds, BarryBarry Bonds (1)||San Francisco Giants|
|2002||Rodriguez, AlexAlex Rodriguez (1)||Texas Rangers|
|2003||Pujols, AlbertAlbert Pujols (1)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2004||Bonds, BarryBarry Bonds (2)||San Francisco Giants|
|2005||Jones, AndruwAndruw Jones||Atlanta Braves|
|2006||Howard, RyanRyan Howard||Philadelphia Phillies|
|2007||Rodriguez, AlexAlex Rodriguez (2)||New York Yankees|
|2008||Pujols, AlbertAlbert Pujols (2)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2009||Pujols, AlbertAlbert Pujols (3)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2010||González, CarlosCarlos González||Colorado Rockies|
|2011||Verlander, JustinJustin Verlander||Detroit Tigers|
The Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award
This award is given to "the player in either league whose on-field performance and contributions to his community inspire others to higher levels of achievement." First given in 1997 (as the "Man of the Year" Award), it was renamed in 1998 in honor of Marvin Miller, former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association.
|1997||McGwire, MarkMark McGwire||Oakland Athletics|
|1998||Molitor, PaulPaul Molitor||Minnesota Twins|
|1999||Sosa, SammySammy Sosa||Chicago Cubs|
|2000||Davis, EricEric Davis||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2001||Thome, JimJim Thome (1)||Cleveland Indians|
|2002||Smoltz, JohnJohn Smoltz (1)||Atlanta Braves|
|2003||Smoltz, JohnJohn Smoltz (2)||Atlanta Braves|
|2004||Thome, JimJim Thome (2)||Philadelphia Phillies|
|2005||Sweeney, MikeMike Sweeney||Kansas City Royals|
|2006||Pujols, AlbertAlbert Pujols||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2007||Hunter, ToriiTorii Hunter||Minnesota Twins|
|2008||Young, MichaelMichael Young (1)||Texas Rangers|
|2009||Granderson, CurtisCurtis Granderson||Detroit Tigers|
|2010||Inge, BrandonBrandon Inge||Detroit Tigers|
|2011||Young, MichaelMichael Young (2)||Texas Rangers|
|2012||Jones, ChipperChipper Jones||Atlanta Braves|
Awards for a player in each league
First awarded in 1993.
First awarded in 1994.
First awarded in 1994.
In 1992, this was the first ever Players Choice Award. There were no other awards that year. The Comeback Player award was not given from 1993 to 1996, although awards were given in other categories. In 1997, it was again awarded and has been ever since.
Award for Player of the Decade
- See also: Baseball Prospectus Internet Baseball Awards MVP of the Decade (1999) and The Sporting News Player of the Decade (1999)
In 1999, a special Player of the Decade award was given to Ken Griffey, Jr..
- Baseball America Major League Player of the Year (in MLB; for all positions)
- Best Major League Baseball Player ESPY Award (in MLB; for all positions)
- The Sporting News Player of the Year Award (in MLB; for all positions) (Sporting News also has a Pitcher of the Year award for each league)
- The Sporting News Most Valuable Player Award (in each league) (discontinued in 1946)
- Baseball Digest Player of the Year (in MLB; for position players) (from 1969 to 1993, included all positions; in 1994, a separate Pitcher of the Year award was added)
- MLB This Year in Baseball Awards (in MLB; including Player, Rookie, Starting Pitcher, Closer, Setup Man, Defensive Player)
- Kenesaw Mountain Landis Most Valuable Player Award (in each league; for all positions) (MLB also has the Cy Young Award for a pitcher in each league)
- Triple Crown (baseball)
- MLB All-Century Team (1999)
- MLB All-Time Team (1997; Baseball Writers' Association of America)
- Baseball awards#U.S. major leagues: Awards by organizations other than MLB
- List of MLB awards