Reflections of Mt Bierstadt (right) and The Sawtooth (left)
|Elevation||14,065 ft (4,287 m)|
|Prominence||720. ft (219 m)|
|Isolation||1.12 mi (1.80 km)|
|Location||Clear Creek County, Colorado, United States|
|Range||Front Range, Chicago Peaks|
USGS 7.5' topographic map
Mount Evans, Colorado
|First ascent||1863 Albert Bierstadt|
|Easiest route||3 mile hike|
- Mountain 1
- See also 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Because it is generally considered an easy climb, along with its accessibility from nearby Denver, Mount Bierstadt is one of the most popular mountains to climb in Colorado. As with most peaks in Colorado, July and August make the best months for climbing Mount Bierstadt.
The most popular base from which to begin ascent of Mount Bierstadt is Guanella Pass, located to the west. From Guanella Pass it is approximately a 3 miles (4.8 km) hike, with a climb of 2,391 feet (729 m). The trail passes descends slightly into the fairly level marshlands surrounding Scott Gomer Creek before reaching Bierstadt's western slopes. On the rocky upper regions of the mountain the route of the trail is marked by a series of cairns. The trail levels about 200 feet (61 m) below the summit at saddle point before beginning the final ascent. Alternative trails cover the eastern slopes for longer hikes.
Once at the summit, a popular option is to continue the hike to nearby Mount Evans along a ridge known as The Sawtooth, an intermediate-level hike. Often such a trip will involve a detour down to Abyss Lake 12,650 feet (3,860 m) elevation), which occupies the bottom of the valley separating Bierstadt and Evans.
Albert Bierstadt's painting, A Storm in the Rocky Mountains, Mt. Rosalie, is based on sketches he made during his 1863 visit to the area. That painting shows either Mount Spalding or Mount Evans (it is ambiguous) from the Chicago Lakes, 3 miles (4.8 km) north-northwest, but Bierstadt and his guide William Byers climbed onward to the summit of either Evans or Spalding (the account is ambiguous).
- List of Colorado mountain ranges
- List of Colorado mountain summits
- List of Colorado county high points
- "BIERSTADT". NGS data sheet.
- The elevation of Mount Bierstadt includes an adjustment of +1.790 m (+5.87 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Mount Bierstadt, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "Mount Bierstadt".
- William Newton Byers, Bierstadt's Visit to Colorado -- Sketching for the famous painting "Storm in the Rocky Mountains", Magazine of Western History, Vol. XI, No. 3, Jan. 1890; page 237.
- Mount Bierstadt on 14ers.com
- Mount Bierstadt on Distantpeak.com
- Mount Bierstadt on TrailCentral.com
- GPS Tracks from Guanella Pass on SelectHikes.com
- Mount Bierstadt Trail (#711) on Forest Service website
- A Storm in the Rocky Mountains by Albert Bierstadt