Loutraki (Greek: Λουτράκι) is a seaside resort on the Gulf of Corinth, in Corinthia, Greece. It is located 81 kilometres (50 miles) west of Athens and 8 kilometres (5 miles) northeast of Corinth. Loutraki is the seat of the municipality Loutraki-Perachora-Agioi Theodoroi. The town is well known for its vast natural springs and its therapeutic spas.
- History 1
- Name 2
- Geography 3
- Sightseeing 4
- Nearest places 5
- Historical population 6
- Notable people 7
- See also 8
- External links 9
In antiquity a town called Thermae (Greek: Θερμαί, hot springs) existed in site. In 1847, an announcement in Italy asserting the therapeutic benefits of bathing in the natural thermal spas found in Loutraki caused an influx of settlers in the surrounding areas, thereby creating modern Loutraki. In 1928 Loutraki was completely destroyed by earthquake and rebuilt. A large park was created by reclaiming sea area using the rubble of the fallen houses. Another strong earthquake hit the area in 1981 with less destructive effects.
The name Loutraki is a direct reference to the thermal spas of the region. It derives from the Loutro(n) (Greek: Λουτρό(ν)) that means bath, bath-house, spa or thermae. The Greek word loutro is directly translated as thermae in English, which was also the ancient name of the region.
The town is bordered by the Gulf of Corinth in the west, while the mountain range of Geraneia dominates north and east. There is a small valley in the southwest that leads to the Isthmus of Corinth. Although part of Corinthia Prefecture, Loutraki is situated northwest of the Corinth Canal thus not on the Peloponese.
Visitors and tourists deserve to visit remarkable buildings of Loutraki.
- On the street 60 C. Lekkas there is a remarkable house, which was built in 1928. This two-story building bears the hallmarks of his era (single volume and form a solid banister, exciting door). It holds a position in the urban fabric of the region and is an interesting group with other buildings of the street.
- Also, on the Street 19 G. Lekkas there is the landmark building of the hotel "Palace" that was built in 1923; the owner is the Limited Liability Hotel Company – George K. Aggelidis. This five-storey hotel was built in 1923. Repaired in 1928, after an earthquake. Dominate the vertical axis of symmetry. Two marble staircases facing an oval, passing under the arched openings. The last two floors are consolidated morphology. The central part of the project beyond the building line and results in elevated end. The decorations are linear. The bearing structure consists of masonry, blocks, reinforced concrete.
- on the Street 4 Syrian, there is one of the most famous and remarkable old noble villas of the old town of Loutraki, 135 sm built in 1956, No. 217/1956 license. Built in 1956 on a pre 1950, old house. The bearing structure consists of reinforced concrete. The purchase and renovation of the renowned Cypriot industrialists distiller Kekkos Ioannidis, when he came to Greece from the Congo of Africa. It bears the hallmarks of his era (simple volume and format, high ceiling height, beautiful mosaics, solid gate, exciting door) has been around for pioneering the era of large terraces, and surrounded by beautiful gardens with fruit trees and roses, the which dominates a huge fountain garden. In this house has hosted many important political figures and businessmen, and on property Kekkou Ioannidis often organized receptions and card games between industrialists and ship-owners, which at its peak decades of the 50, 60, 70 and 80 and are relaxed and entertained away from the eyes of the world and the paparazzi. Today is in the hands of another owner, who erected in the garden a remarkable bronze bust of General George V. Papagiannopoulos, who was wounded in the war.
- Municipality of Loutraki
- travelinfo.gr – Loutraki
- Portal of Loutraki, with many photos and events
- - The official Loutraki Tourism Website
- - Sightviews of Loutraki
|Geraneia mountains and Perachora (NW)||
||Saronic Gulf and Agioi Theodoroi (NE)|
|Corinthian Gulf and Corinth (SW)||
||Corinthian Gulf and Isthmus (SE)|