Jupiter Island, Florida
|Jupiter Island, Florida|
Location in Martin County and the state of Florida
|• Total||3.59 sq mi (9.31 km2)|
|• Land||2.69 sq mi (6.97 km2)|
|• Water||0.90 sq mi (2.33 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||227.4/sq mi (87.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1675447|
Jupiter Island is a town on the barrier island of Jupiter Island in Martin County, Florida, United States. It has no post office and all mail comes from Hobe Sound on the mainland. The population was 817 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Port St. Lucie Metropolitan Statistical Area. Worth magazine ranked Jupiter Island as #1 in the country for having the highest median home sale. Some of the wealthiest people in the United States live in Jupiter Island; it has the highest per capita income of any inhabited place in the country.
- Geography 1
- Demographics 2
- Notable people 3
- References 4
- External links 5
Jupiter Island is located at (27.057287, -80.113616).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2), of which 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (24.86%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 817 people, 429 households, and 219 families residing in the town. The population density was 227.4 people per square mile (87.8/km²) based on total area, and 303.4 people per square mile (117.1/km²) based on land area. There were 762 housing units at an average density of 283.0 per square mile of land area (109.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.37% White (88.49% non-Hispanic), 2.20% African American, 2.57% Asian, and 0.61% from other races. No one in the community identified as a Pacific Islander, or with two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 5.32% of the population.
There were 429 households, of which 4.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.4% were married couples living together, 1.4% had a female householder with no husband present, one had a male householder with no wife present, and 49.0% were non-families. 42.9% of households were made up of individuals; 18.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.74 and the average family size was 2.25.
The age distribution was 4.0% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 16.9% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 47.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 63.7 years. For every 100 females there were 106.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $199,167, and the median income for a family was over $250,000 (the Census Bureau was not able to determine an exact amount). Full-time male workers had a median income of $191,000 versus $88,889 for females. The per capita income for the town was $254,260. 9.2% of the population and 2.5% of families were below the poverty line.
- Steve Bisciotti - Owner of Baltimore Ravens and Aerotek
- Dorothy Walker Bush - Mother of President George H.W. Bush (41) and grandmother to George W. Bush (43)
- Celine Dion- Singer
- Nelson Doubleday - Publishing
- Alan Jackson- Singer
- Richard Lerner- research chemist, entrepreneur, and former president of The Scripps Research Institute maintains a home in the community.
- Greg Norman- professional golfer
- Gary Player- professional golfer
- Nick Price - professional golfer
- Lee Trevino- professional golfer
- Tiger Woods- professional golfer
- "American FactFinder".
- "US Board on Geographic Names".
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990".
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder".
- The Town of Jupiter Island