GN boxcab (3 phase)

GN boxcab (3 phase)

GN boxcab locomotives

The GN boxcab locomotives were the first electric locomotives purchased by the Great Northern Railway (GN) for use through the Cascade Tunnel.

The four units delivered were designated as Alco-GE three-phase 5000 series locomotives. The electric locomotives produced 1000 hp each and had a B-B wheel arrangement. They were three-phase electric locomotives, built in February and March 1909, delivered in Pullman Green. The GN numbered them 5000–5003 and they were used until May 1927. [1]

References

  1. ^ "GN Alco-GE 3-phase 5000s". The Great Northern Empire. 2005. Retrieved January 18, 2015.