The Central Business District of Belapur (C.B.D Belapur) is a node of Navi Mumbai. The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation is headquartered in Belapur. The Reserve Bank of India maintains a branch office at CBD Belapur. This area is one of the fastest developing region in Navi Mumbai in terms of new residential and commercial construction projects. CBD Belapur is well connected to all other parts of Mumbai through railways, BEST & NMMT buses. It had a ferry service for traveling to Elephanta caves from Sector-11.
CBD Belapur is a chief business district of Mumbai after Vashi, Bandra-Kurla Complex, Nariman Point and Worli. CBD Belapur has been growing since the 1990s, and is now home to colleges as well as a number of technology businesses.
The area near Belapur was under Portuguese rule around 1560, before it was captured by the Siddis of Janjira. In those days, the town was called Belawal by the locals, and Sambayo or Shabaz by the Portuguese. In 1682, the Portuguese recaptured Shabaz, only to lose it to the Marathas in 1733. In 1817, the British East India Company captured the area from the Marathas. It is the southernmost town in the Thane district as well as the Thane taluka.
CBD Belapur houses several economic and government administrative and private companies' offices (mostly govt. offices like banks). Konkan Bhavan building houses important state government office like Director of Town Planning, Public Works Department etc. The CGO Complex (Central Government Office) has offices of Chief Commissioner of Central Exice, Special Crime Branch, MTNL and Court. Other government offices include Cotton Corporation of India Ltd and headquarters of Konkan Railway.
The Reserve Bank of India, State Bank of India (SBI), Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Industrial Development Bank of India Limited (IDBI) and other nationalised banks have their presence here.
CBD Belapur is home to some of the country's most prominent call centres like ChoiceConnex, Wipro BPO and few others like Kaizen, SilkRoot etc. ChoiceConnex has notable mention as it specialises in out-bound sales for US, Australia and UAE and has more recently started domestic operations as well. It has well developed markets for local population in sectors 3, 4 & 6. It has M.G.M. Hospital which takes care of local population's medical needs. Now a new Charitable hospital Acharyashri Nanesh Hospital is scheduled to open in the quaint Artist village a serene & picturesque locality in Belapur. It has a number of restaurants & recreational grounds such as Sunil Gavaskar Maidan. International Technology Centre at the CBD Belapur railway station complex was built by CIDCO as an Infotech hub.
Administrative OfficesCBD Belapur is also important as regards to administrative purpose as many prominent central, state and local government offices are situated here:
- Konkan Bhavan (State)
- CGO (Central Government Offices Complex)
- Raigad Bhavan (CIDCO)
- NMMC (Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation)
- CIDCO Bhavan ( Head office of Navi Mumbai City and Industrial Dev. Company)
CBD Belapur is easily accessible from all parts of Navi Mumbai and Mumbai by road and rail transport facilities. Belapur railway station lies on the harbour line and Sion Panvel Highway passes through this node. Palm Beach Marg connects CBD Belapur directly with Vashi. Railway service is up to Panvel.
BEST buses are available from CBD Belapur to Vashi, Chembur, Sion, Wadala, Bandra & Ghatkopar. NMMT buses are available from CBD Belapur to Vashi, Thane, Dombivli, Badlapur, Uran, Taloja, Panvel & Khopoli. BEST AC Kinglong and NMMT AC Volvo buses are available from CBD Belapur to Sion, Dadar, Bandra & Borivali. Auto rickshaws is the primary mode of transport within the node owing the small area occupied by the node. The minimum auto fare is Rs. 17
There exists a provision for a helipad and helicopter service making Belapur station complex accessible by air too, but is defunct. A hovercraft service was introduced in mid 1990s between CBD Belapur and Gateway of India but was later discontinued because of poor response, the main reason being the high cost
After they wrested control of the area from the Portuguese in 1733, the Marathas, led by Chimanji Appa, captured the fort. In 1817, when it was captured by captain Charles Gray of the British East India Company, the fort was partially destroyed under the British policy of razing any Maratha stronghold in the area. CIDCO plans to restore the