Astronomy Picture of the Day
The APOD website on 24 July 2012, displaying that day's astronomy picture of a polar vortex on Titan
|Type of site||Photography website|
|Available in||English (primary)|
|Owner||NASA and MTU|
|Created by||Robert J. Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell|
|Launched||16 June 1995|
Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) is a copyrighted, unlike many other NASA image galleries.
When APOD began it received only 14 page views on its first day. As of 2012 it is estimated that there have been over 1 billion image views. APOD is also translated into 21 languages daily.
APOD was presented at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in 1996. Its practice of using hypertext was analyzed in a paper in 2000. It received a Scientific American Sci/Tech Web Award in 2001. In 2002, the website was featured in an interview with Nemiroff on CNN Saturday Morning News. In 2003, the two authors published a book titled The Universe: 365 Days from Harry N. Abrams, which is a collection of the best images from APOD as a hardcover "coffee table" style book. APOD was the Featured Collection in the November 2004 issue of D-Lib Magazine.
The industrious Robert Nemiroff (left) and persistent Jerry Bonnell (right), still engaged in creating the APOD web pages.
A montage of Astronomy Picture of the Day, showing images for six years.
"If the earth were a neutron star." Gravitational lens distortion of the constellation Orion.
- APOD for June 7, 2009
- Nemiroff, Robert; Jerry Bonnell (April 3, 2007). "APOD homepage". NASA. Archived from the original on 29 December 2010. Retrieved December 30, 2010.
- Nemiroff, Robert; Jerry Bonnell. "APOD Frequently Asked Questions". NASA. Retrieved December 30, 2010.
- Nemiroff, Robert; Jerry Bonnell. "About APOD Image Permissions". NASA. Retrieved December 30, 2010.
- "APOD Turns 17". APOD. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "About APOD". APOD. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "AAS Meeting 187th Program". American Astronomical Society. 1996. Retrieved April 3, 2007.
- Carr, Leslie; Hall, Wendy; Miles-Board, Timothy (February 29, 2000). "Writing and Reading Hypermedia on the Web". Technical Report, Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton. Retrieved April 3, 2007.
- "Sci/Tech Web Awards 2001—Astronomy and Astrophysics". Scientific American. May 14, 2001. Retrieved April 3, 2007.
- "Saturday Morning News — Astronomy Picture of Day transcript". CNN. September 21, 2002. Retrieved April 3, 2007.
- The Universe: 365 Days: Robert J. Nemiroff, Jerry T. Bonnell: Books
- Wilson, Bonita (November 2004). "Featured Collection". D-Lib Magazine 10 (11).
- APOD mirror accessdate October, 4th, 2013
- Official website
- APOD Archive
- About APOD – includes a list of mirror websites
- Astronomy Picture of the Day RSS Feed – Official RSS feed
- Official list of alternative (mirror) sites for when the NASA APOD site is down
- Observatorio – Spanish official translation, with web2.0 features
- Starship Asterisk* – APOD and General Astronomy Discussion Forum
- Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) – Unofficial Facebook Page
- Astronomy Picture of the Day (APoD) – Unofficial Google+ Page
- APOD email service
- Unofficial APOD Mirror (Chinese)
- APOD email service (Chinese)
- List of APOD Mirrors and Social Sites