1959 Boston Red Sox season
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 See also
- 5 Farm system
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- Prior to 1959 season: Mike Page was signed as an amateur free agent by the Red Sox.
- March 9, 1959: Bob Smith was traded by the Red Sox to the Chicago Cubs for Chuck Tanner.
- The 1959 season was the year that the color barrier was broken for the Red Sox. Elijah "Pumpsie" Green became the first black player to play for the Red Sox. Later in the season, Earl Wilson became the first black pitcher to play for the Boston Red Sox.
- Ted Williams would have an off year as he batted below .300.
|Chicago White Sox||94||60||.610||--|
|New York Yankees||79||75||.513||15|
|Boston Red Sox||75||79||.487||19|
|Kansas City Athletics||66||88||.429||28|
- July 26, 1959: Bud Byerly was traded by the Red Sox to the San Francisco Giants for Billy Muffett and cash.
- September 9, 1959: Chuck Tanner was sold by Red Sox to Cleveland Indians.
Opening day lineup
|1959 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|LF||Williams, TedTed Williams||103||272||69||.254||10||43|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Geiger, GaryGary Geiger||120||335||82||.245||11||48|
|Wertz, VicVic Wertz||94||247||68||.275||7||49|
|Green, PumpsiePumpsie Green||50||172||40||.233||1||10|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Brewer, TomTom Brewer||36||215.1||10||12||3.76||121|
|Casale, JerryJerry Casale||31||179.2||13||8||4.31||93|
|Baumann, FrankFrank Baumann||26||95.2||6||4||4.05||48|
|Wilson, EarlEarl Wilson||9||23.2||1||1||6.08||17|
|Bowsfield, TedTed Bowsfield||5||9||0||1||15.00||4|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
- List of first black Major League Baseball players by team and date
|AAA||Minneapolis Millers||American Association||Gene Mauch|
|A||Allentown Red Sox||Eastern League||Sheriff Robinson|
|B||Raleigh Capitals||Carolina League||Ken Deal|
|D||Waterloo Hawks||Midwest League||Elmer Yoter|
|D||Corning Cor-Sox||New York–Penn League||Len Okrie|
|D||Alpine Cowboys||Sophomore League||Eddie Popowski|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Minneapolis, Waterloo, Alpine
- 1959 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1959 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com