September 27, 1986 |
Hackensack, New Jersey
|June 2, 2009 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.69|
Vincent Michael "Vin" Mazzaro (born September 27, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Early years 1
Professional career 2
- Oakland Athletics 2.1
- Kansas City Royals 2.2
- Pittsburgh Pirates 2.3
- References 3
- External links 4
In December 2008,
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- "Former Rutherford High star gets win in AAA baseball"
- A's Mazzaro masterful in debut
- "Royals to place pitcher Bruce Chen on 15-day DL tomorrow and recall pitcher Vin Mazzaro," Kansas City Royals press release, Tuesday, May 10, 2011.
- Cleveland Indians 19, at Kansas City Royals 1; Monday, May 16, 2011 – MLB.com.
- Kaegel, Dick. "Mazzaro posts wrong type of standout numbers," MLB.com, Tuesday, May 17, 2011.
- Kaegel, Dick. "Davies injured; Mazzaro optioned to Omaha," MLB.com, Tuesday, May 17, 2011.
- Kaegel, Dick (20 November 2012). "Royals make moves to finalize 40-man roster". MLB.com via KC Royals. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Kaegel, Dick (28 November 2012). "KC deals Mazzaro, Robinson to Bucs for pitching". MLB.com via Royals team website. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Menendez, Jenn (April 8, 2014). "Pirates reliever Mazzaro clears waivers". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
On May 26, 2014, Mazzaro was designated for assignment again in order for Brandon Cumpton to be called up. He elected free agency in October 2014.
On November 28, 2012, Mazzaro was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates with first baseman Clint Robinson in exchange for right-handed pitcher Luis Santos and left-hander Luis Rico. Santos and Rico both pitched in the Dominican Summer League in 2012.
He surrendered 14 runs in 2⅓ innings in an emergency appearance out of the bullpen in a 19–1 loss to the Cleveland Indians at Kauffman Stadium on May 16, 2011. Besides setting a new franchise record for most runs yielded in a game, he became the first pitcher in the modern era (since 1900) to allow that many without pitching 3 innings. His 14 earned runs given up was also the most by a relief pitcher since Les McCrabb of the Philadelphia Athletics allowed the same amount in four innings in a 19–4 defeat to the Boston Red Sox on April 16, 1942. Originally scheduled to be the starter the following night, Mazzaro was optioned back to the Storm Chasers after the game. Mazzaro was called back to Kansas City on June 7 after Royals starting pitcher Sean O'Sullivan was placed on the disabled list. He finished the season with an overall record of 4-3 with a 5.73 in 18 games, primarily in relief. On November 20, 2012 the Royals designated Mazzaro for assignment as they cleared room on the 40-man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft.
Mazzaro was traded along with minor league pitcher Justin Marks to the Kansas City Royals for David DeJesus on November 10, 2010. After starting the 2011 season with the Omaha Storm Chasers, he was recalled by the Royals to replace the injured Bruce Chen on May 10.
Kansas City Royals