|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
A period piece is a work of art set in, or reminiscent of, an earlier time period.
In the performing arts, a period piece is a work set in a particular era. This informal term covers all countries, all periods and all genres. It may be as long and general as the medieval era or as limited as one decade—the Roaring Twenties, for example.
Harold Bloom in The Western Canon (1994) labels those works not included in his list of 20th century "classics" as being mostly "period pieces" (see Appendix header for "The Chaotic Age"). Since these works are still being widely read (Harry Potter for example), it is impossible to know if they will become regarded as classics in the future or simply fade away into mostly unread period pieces.
|Look up Period piece in , the free dictionary.|
- Period Dramas.com – a costume-drama movie database based around a historical timeline.
- Period Movies listings of period piece films from various historical eras.
- Enchanted Serenity of Period Films fansite that profiles period piece films including news of upcoming films
- Recycled Movie Costumes website dedicated to documenting costumes used in more than one film
- Period Movies Box blog dedicated to period movies news and reviews