Clay Street Hill Railroad
|Clay Street Hill Railroad|
|Location||Clay Street, San Francisco|
|Built||August 1, 1873|
|Demolished||February 15, 1942|
|Official name: Eastern terminus of the Clay Street Hill Railroad|
The Clay Street Hill Railroad was the first successful cable hauled street railway. It was located on Clay Street, a notably steep street in San Francisco in California, and first operated in August 1873.
The promoter of the line was Andrew Smith Hallidie, and the engineer was William Eppelsheimer. Accounts differ as to exactly how involved Hallidie was in the inception of the Clay Street Hill Railway. One version has him taking over the promotion of the line when the original promoter, Benjamin Brooks, failed to raise the necessary capital. In another version, Hallidie was the instigator, inspired by a desire to reduce the suffering incurred by the horses that hauled streetcars up Jackson Street, from Kearny to Stockton Street.
There is also doubt as to when exactly the first run of the cable car occurred. The franchise required a first run no later than August 1, 1873, however at least one source reports that the run took place a day late, on August 2, but that the city chose not to void the franchise. Some accounts say that the first gripman hired by Hallidie looked down the steep hill from Jones and refused to operate the car, so Hallidie took the grip himself and ran the car down the hill and up again without any problems.
The line involved the use of grip cars, which carried the grip that engaged with the cable, towing trailer cars. The design was the first to use such grips.
The Clay Street line started regular service on September 1, 1873 and was a financial success. In 1888, it was absorbed into the Sacramento-Clay line of the Ferries and Cliff House Railway, and it subsequently became a small part of the San Francisco cable car system. Today none of the original line survives. However grip car 8 from the line has been preserved, and is now displayed in the San Francisco Cable Car Museum.
The railroad was designated as California Historical Landmark #500, with the landmark marker being placed at the site of its eastern terminus near the corner of Clay Street and Kearny.
- In Herbie Rides Again, Mrs. Steimetz owns a cable car from the Clay Street Hill Railroad, which she calls "Old 22".
- "Eastern terminus of the Clay Street Hill Railroad". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Joe Thompson (1998-2004). Who Was Important in the History of the Cable Car?. Retrieved May 27, 2005.
- Edgar Myron Kahn (1940). California Historical Society Quarterly - Andrew Smith Hallidie. Retrieved May 27, 2005.
- "About the San Francisco Cable Car Museum". Friends of the Cable Car Museum. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- Callwell, Robert; Rice, Walter (2000). Of Cables and Grips: The Cable Cars of San Francisco. San Francisco, Calif.: Friends of the Cable Car Museum.