Young Democrats of America
|Young Democrats of America|
|President||Atima Omara Alwala|
|Mother party||Democratic Party|
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) was founded in 1932 as the official youth arm of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 and became an independent 527 group/"hybrid superPAC." The group's membership consists of Democrats ages 18–36, and its political activities tend to concentrate on increasing the voter turnout of young people and affecting the issues affecting that demographic group. It tends to be somewhat more focused on political activism than the party at large.
2013-2015 YDA Leadership
YDA membership elects seven national officers biannually at the organization's National Convention in odd-numbered years and two DNC representatives in even-numbered years. These officers maintain the day-to-day management of the organization. The officers were elected at the 2013 YDA National Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
Between national conventions, the governing body of YDA is the National Committee which is composed of the president, the national committeeman and committeewoman of each chartered state federation, along with the chairs of the twelve constituency caucuses and the eight regional directors.
The President, Democratic National Committeeman, and Democratic National Committeewoman are automatic members of the Democratic National Committee, and superdelegates to any Democratic National Convention occurring during their terms.
National Elected Officers
- President: Atima Omara-Alwala of Virginia
- Executive Vice President: Erin Carlstrom of California
- Vice President: Ben Yee of New York
- Vice President: Ben Cohen of Kansas
- Vice President: Louis Elrod of Georgia
- Treasurer: Terrell Boston-Smith of Maryland
- Secretary: Shayna Daitch of Oklahoma
- Democratic National Committeeman: John Keller of Illinois - (Term 2014-2016)
- Democratic National Committeewoman: Akilah Ensley of North Carolina - (Term 2014-2016)
- Young Democrats of America
- Connery, Michael. Youth to Power: How Today's Young Voters Are Building Tomorrow's Democratic Majority, ig Publishing, 2008 ISBN 978-0-9788431-3-7