York House, St James's Palace

York House, St James's Palace

York House, St. James's Palace, early 20th century

York House is a historic wing of his father drove him from Court.

In 1795, Charles, William and Harry, who used it before moving to Clarence House.[1]

As Edward, Prince of Wales, the future Edward VIII lived at York House, before his refurbishment of Fort Belvedere in Windsor Great Park.[2]

The plan of the building is as follows: a suite of somewhat low-pitched rooms on the ground-floor, several drawing-rooms on the first floor, a corridor in the rear, and the servants' rooms on the top story; all facing Cleveland Row. The ceilings of the top floor are low; height having been sacrificed to that of the drawing-room floor, during the nineteenth century a common practice in London mansions.

The appellation York House has been applied at various times to other houses occupied by various Dukes of York, including those now known as Cumberland House, Dover House, Lancaster House and The Albany.

References

  1. ^ "Prince Charles moves into Clarence House".  
  2. ^ Edward, Duke of Windsor (29 May 1950). LIFE. Time Inc. p. 65.  

External links

  • for York House, St. James's Palace