|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Municipal seat||Yicheng Subdistrict (宜城街道)|
|• Total||2,038.7 km2 (787.1 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Yixing (simplified Chinese: 宜兴; traditional Chinese: 宜興; pinyin: Yíxīng) is a county-level city with a population of 1.24 million administrated under the prefecture-level city of Wuxi in southern Jiangsu province, People's Republic of China, and is part of the Yangtze River Delta. With active modern industry as the economical fundamentals, it is more famous for traditional Yixing clay and the pottery made from that—especially the "zisha"-style teapots. It is also famous in China for thousands of scholars and scientists born here, among whom there are 12 academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and 13 academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering.
- History 1
- Tourism 2
- Location and transport 3
Administrative divisions 4
- Subdistricts (街道) 4.1
- Towns (镇) 4.2
- Economy 5
- Education 6
- Notable people 7
- References 8
- External links 9
Yixing county was established in 221 B.C.(Qin Dynasty) with the name of Yangxian(阳羡). Between 303 A.D. and 310 A.D., the local aristocrat Zhou Qi who was the eldest son of General Zhou Chu, suppressed rebellions three times. And then Yangxian was renamed Yixing( 义兴,meaning loyalty and prosperity ) to honor Zhou Qi. In 976 A.D.,Yixing(义兴) was renamed Yixing(宜兴) as a consequence of avoiding the use of the King's name (Zhao Kuangyi, Emperor Taizong of Song).
On October 21st 2014, Yixing established a formal sister city relationship with Sanford, North Carolina in the United States under the representation of Yixing Mayor Zhang.
Yixing is famous for its bamboo forest, water-eroded caves and beautiful natural landscapes. There are 5 national AAAA-level scenic areas in Yixing:
National Longbeishan Forest Park
Sacred Region of Taozu
There are some ancient relics like Guoshan Stele (Three Kingdoms period)*Camel Mound (or Luotuo Dun, Neolithic period).
Location and transport
Yixing is at the west side of Lake Tai and is almost at the centre of the triangle consisting of Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou. Expressway lines connect Yixing with all main cities in Yangtze River Delta. The distances between Yixing and international airports in this area are:
- Hongqiao International Airport 190 km (118 mi), 2-hour-drive
- Pudong International Airport 242 km (150 mi), 2.5-hour-drive
- Lukou International Airport 108 km (67 mi), 1.5-hour-drive
There are shuttle buses between Yixing and this airport.
- Xiaoshan International Airport 180 km (112 mi), 2-hour-drive
- Sunan Shuofang International Airport 95 km (59 mi), 1-hour-drive.
There are two main expressway lines crossing Yixing: Yixing-Shanghai Expressway and Nanjing-Hangzhou Expressway. Since July 1, 2013, the High-speed railway (350 km/h) Nanjing–Hangzhou Intercity Railway, which connects Yixing to Nanjing and Hangzhou, has been put into use, shortening the time of journey to 30 minutes.
- Yicheng Subdistrict (宜城街道)
- Qiting Subdistrict (屺亭街道)
- Xinzhuang Subdistrict (新庄街道)
- Xinjie Subdistrict (新街街道)
Yixing is among the top 10 county-level cities in China. There are one national Yixing Industrial Park for Environmental Science & Technology and two province-level industrial parks in Yixing.
|GDP (US$ billion)||GDP per capita (US$)||increase by (%)|
With 100 percent completion of compulsory education, Yixing has a developed educational system consisting of 79 kindergartens, 77 elementary schools, 39 middle schools, 11 high schools, 3 colleges and 2 special schools. The enrollment ratio in higher education reached 93 percent in the year 2010.
- Chen Qingzhi a prominent General of the Liang Dynasty
- Chu Anping a noted liberal journalist and editor
- Ding Junhui a professional snooker player
- Jiang Biwei wrote her memoirs
- Hu Huanyong a founder of China's population geography
- Pan Hannian a Chinese Communist intelligence agent
- Pan Xulun the father of Chinese accounting
- Sha Zukang the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Qian Xiuling a "National Heroine" of Belgium
- Wu Guanzhong a prominent painter
- Xu Beihong a prominent painter
- Zhou Xiaochuan the 11th Governor of the People's Bank of China
- Zhou Chu a prominent General of the Jin Dynasty
- Zhou Jiannan a politician and bureaucrat
- Academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering
- Cheng Rongshi a polymer physicist
- Cheng Tianmin a military pharmacologist
- Chen Taiyi an expert on communication technology
- Chen Guoliang an expert on metal materials
- Chen Zhinan a cytologist
- Chu Junhao an expert on semiconductor
- Ding Rongjun an expert on vehicles
- Tang Aoqing a theoretical chemist, the father of Chinese quantum chemistry
- Pan Shu a founder of Chinese psychology
- Shi Shaoxi an engineering thermal physicist
- Wu Yueliang a theoretical physicist
- Zhou Jing a geotechnologist
- Gao Dingsan an expert on semiconductor
- Sha Qinglin an expert on road engineering
- Xue Mingqiu an opticist
- Wu Zhongru an expert on hydro-structure
- Tang Xisheng an expert on nuclear technology
- Huang Ruisong an expert on missile technology
- Ren Nanqi an expert on water treatment
- Wu Haoqing a physical chemist
- Zhang Zong a physicist
- Zhou Peiyuan a theoretical physicist
- Zhu Hongyuan a theoretical physicist
- Zhu Bangfen a condensed matter physicist
- Zhu jiming a virologist
- 2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：宜兴市 (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- Yixing Municipal Government website (In Simplified Chinese characters)