Willie Fernie (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||William Fernie|
24 June 1924 (aged 66)
Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||Won: 1883|
William Fernie (1857 – 24 June 1924) was a Scottish golfer from the "Home of Golf", St Andrews. He won the 1883 Open Championship at Musselburgh Links. The tournament was scheduled to last four rounds of the nine hole course on a Friday in November. Fernie tied with defending champion Bob Ferguson, with both men shooting 158. The following day Fernie won a playoff by a single stroke.
Fernie was runner-up in the Open Championship in 1882, 1884, 1890 and 1891. When George Strath left Royal Troon in 1887, Fernie took over as club professional and served for 37 years only retiring in January 1924, a few month before his death. As a golf course designer he made alterations to the Old Course at St Andrews and Royal Troon, and designed Turnberry's Ailsa and Isle of Arran courses. He also designed the Southerndown Golf Club course in southern Wales in 1905. Fernie also designed The Dumfries and County Golf Club in 1912.
Three of his sons, Tom, Harry and John, withdrew from 1924 Open qualifying at Royal Liverpool Golf Club because of their father's illness. Tom had finished fifth in the 1923 Open at Troon. Another son, Robert, was also a professional golfer.
|Year||Championship||18 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runner-up|
|1883||The Open Championship||2 shot lead||38-37-40-43=158||Playoff1||Bob Ferguson|
1In a 36-hole playoff, Fernie defeated Ferguson by 1 stroke.
|The Open Championship||T9||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||T8|
|The Open Championship||DNP||8||2||1||T2||T4||T8||T7||14||6|
|The Open Championship||T2||T2||8||T23||T5||T6||T3||T22||7||T5|
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT||T12||T24||CUT||T31||CUT|
- Note: Fernie played only in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
- "Death of Willie Fernie - Ex-Open champion golfer - A link with the past". The Glasgow Herald. 25 June 1924. p. 9.
- "Death of Willie Fernie". The Times. 25 June 1924. p. 7.
- "1883 Willie Fernie". The Open. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Retirement of W. Fernie". The Times. 12 January 1924. p. 10.
- "Southerndown Golf Club". Top 100 golf courses.co.uk. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- opengolf.com report on the 1883 Open Championship
- Shiskine Golf and Tennis Club History, including notes on Willie Fernie
- Royal Troon, Club professionals, note on Willie Fernie
- Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland, makers