1 March 1901|
14 July 1983
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1919–45|
Fallschirm-Panzer Division 1 Hermann Göring
Fallschirm-Panzer-Korps Hermann Göring
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Wilhelm Schmalz (1 March 1901 – 14 March 1983) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Wilhelm Schmalz was captured by American troops in May 1945, he was accused of war crimes in Italy, but after 5 years the charges were dropped.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 September 1939)
- 1st Class (16 October 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Ground Assault Badge of the Luftwaffe
- German Cross in Gold (8 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 262.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 308.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 65.
- Schaulen, Fritjof (2005). Eichenlaubträger 1940 – 1945 Zeitgeschichte in Farbe III Radusch – Zwernemann [Oak Leaves Bearers 1940 – 1945 Contemporary History in Color III Radusch – Zwernemann] (in German). Selent, Germany: Pour le Mérite.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Oberst Paul Conrath
Commander of Fallschirm-Panzer Division 1 Hermann Göring
16 April 1944 - 30 September 1944
Generalmajor Hanns-Horst von Necker
Commander of Fallschirm-Panzerkorps Hermann Göring
4 October 1944 - 8 May 1945