21 December 1892
3 February 1971
|Buried at||South Cemetery Wiesbaden|
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1911–45|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Werner Forst (21 December 1892 – 3 February 1971) was a German general who held several divisional commands during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves were awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on the Deutsch WorldHeritage.
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (1 October 1914)
- 1st Class (16 September 1916)
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords
Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 in 1934
- Sudetenland Medal
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (26 September 1939)
- 1st Class (20 October 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (14 March 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (6 November 1943)
- Thomas 1997, p. 172.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 154.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 68.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalleutnant Justin von Obernitz
Commander of 293. Infanterie-Division
19 February 1942 - 10 January 1943
Generalleutnant Karl Arndt
Generalleutnant Arthur Kullmer
Commander of 106. Infanterie-Division
10 January 1943 - 20 February 1944
Generalleutnant Siegfried von Rekowski