21 November 1913|
25 August 2008
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
11th Panzergrenadier Division
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Werner Ebeling (21 November 1913 – 25 August 2008) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II and a Generalmajor in the Bundeswehr. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He commanded the 11. Panzergrenadier-Division of the Bundeswehr from 15 January 1968 to 30 September 1970.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 June 1940)
- 1st Class (5 September 1941)
- in Black (18 March 1944)
- Infantry Assault Badge (13 November 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (31 July 1942)
- Demyansk Shield
Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (25 February 1944)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (27 December 1943)
- German Cross in Gold on 11 March 1943 as Oberleutnant in Grenadier-Regiment 220
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1970)
- Thomas 1997, p. 136.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 95.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 141.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 81.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Ritterkreuzraeger 1939-1945
Oberst Hasso Neitzel
Commander of Panzergrenadierbrigade 16 (Bundeswehr)
16 July 1963 – 31 October 1965
Oberst Oskar-Hubert Dennhardt
Generalmajor Otto Uechtritz
Commander of 11th Panzergrenadier Division (Bundeswehr)
15 January 1968 – 30 September 1970
Generalmajor Hans-Heinrich Klein