11 March 1917
17 July 1943
|Years of service||1934–43|
Aufklärungsgruppe (Heer) 21
|Commands held||III./StG 2|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Walter Krauß[Note 1] (11 March 1917 – 17 July 1943) was a highly decorated Major in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Walter Krauß was killed on 17 July 1943, after Soviet bombers attacked the German airfield at Orel. He was posthumously promoted Major and on 3 January 1944 was awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Eastern Front Medal (22 August 1942)
- German Cross in Gold on 24 April 1942 as Oberleutnant in the Stabs-Staffe/Sturzkampfgeschwader 2
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- His name, in German, is spelled with a "sharp S"; see ß.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 252.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 472.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 273.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 76.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Luftwaffe 1939-1945 History
Hauptmann Gustav Preßler
Commander of 1. Sturzkampfgeschwader 2
1 April 1943 - 17 July 1943
Hauptmann Hans-Ulrich Rudel