Via de' Tornabuoni

Via de' Tornabuoni

View of Via de' Tornabuoni.
Via de' Tornabuoni with Palazzo Strozzi.

Via de' Tornabuoni, or Via Tornabuoni, is a street at the center of Florence, Italy, that goes from Antinori square to ponte Santa Trinità, across Santa Trinità square, characterized by the presence of fashion boutiques.

The street houses high fashion boutiques, belonging to stylists such as Gucci, Salvatore Ferragamo, Enrico Coveri, Roberto Cavalli, Emilio Pucci and others; also boutiques of jewelry are here such as Damiani, Bulgari and Buccellati.


The road was once crossed by the city's Roman walls; in the early Middle Ages, it ran along the Mugnone river. Near the current Palazzo Strozzi was the Brancazio Gate. With the 12th century enlargement of the walls, the stream was diverted and the road widened. At the time, it had different names, including Via Larga dei Legnaiuoli and Via dei Belli Sporti.

After the creation of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in the 16th century, via de' Tornabuoni was the seat of the processions from Palazzo Pitti to via Maggio and Ponte Santa Trinità, as well as pallone col bracciale matches, Calcio Fiorentino games and horse races. In 1565 it received a porphyry column which still characterizes it.

Via de' Tornabuoni once housed the Casoni Cafè, where, in 1920, the Negroni cocktail was invented by Camillo Negroni.


Historical buildings on Via Tornabuoni include:

East side starting from Arno:

West side starting from Arno:

The Street

In Piazza degli Antinori (Antinori Square), adjacent to the northern terminus of Via Tornabuoni, are the following buildings:


  • Maffei, Gianluigi (1995). Via Tornabuoni, il salotto di Firenze (in Italian). Florence: Loggia dei Lanzi editori.