The narrow courtyard between the palace's two wings creates the effect of a short, idealized street; view toward the Arno.
Piazzale degli Uffizi,
50122 Florence, Italy
|Type||Art museum, Design/Textile Museum, Historic site|
1.9 million (2013)
Ranked 25th globally (2013)
The building of Uffizi was begun by Cosimo I de' Medici so as to accommodate the offices of the Florentine magistrates, hence the name uffizi, "offices". The construction was later continued by Alfonso Parigi and Bernardo Buontalenti and completed in 1581. The cortile (internal courtyard) is so long and narrow, and open to the Arno at its far end through a Doric screen that articulates the space without blocking it, that architectural historians treat it as the first regularized streetscape of Europe. Vasari, a painter and architect as well, emphasised its perspective length by the matching facades' continuous roof cornices, and unbroken cornices between storeys and the three continuous steps on which the palace-fronts stand. The niches in the piers that alternate with columns filled with sculptures of famous artists in the XIX century.
The Palazzo degli Uffizi brought together under one roof the administrative offices, the Tribunal and the Archivio di Stato, the state archive. The project that was planned by Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany to arrange prime works of art in the Medici collections on the piano nobile was effected by Francis I of Tuscany, who commissioned Buontalenti the famous Tribuna degli Uffizi that united a selection of the outstanding masterpieces in the collection in an ensemble that was a star attraction of the Grand Tour.
Over the years, further parts of the palace evolved into a display place for many of the paintings and sculpture collected by the House of Medici or commissioned by them. According to Vasari, who was not only the architect of the Uffizi but also the author of Lives of the Artists, published in 1550 and 1568, artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo gathered at the Uffizi "for beauty, for work and for recreation."
After the house of Medici was extinguished, the art treasures remained in Florence by terms of the famous Patto di famiglia negotiated by Anna Maria Luisa, the last Medici heiress; it formed one of the first modern museums. The gallery had been open to visitors by request since the sixteenth century, and in 1765 it was officially opened to the public.
Because of its huge collection, some of its works have in the past been transferred to other museums in Florence—for example, some famous statues to the Bargello. A project is currently underway to expand the museum's exhibition space in 2006 from some 6,000 metres² (64,000 ft²) to almost 13,000 metres² (139,000 ft²), allowing public viewing of many artworks that have usually been in storage.
In 1993, a car bomb exploded in Niobe room and classical sculptures and neoclassical interior of which have been restored, although its frescoes were damaged beyond repair. The identity of the bomber or bombers are unknown, although it was almost certainly attributable to the Sicilian Mafia who were engaged in a period of terrorism at that time.
Today, the Uffizi is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Florence. In high season (particularly in July), waiting times can be up to five hours.
In early August 2007, Florence was caught with a large rainstorm, and the Gallery was partially flooded, with water leaking through the ceiling, and the visitors had to be evacuated. There was a much more significant flood in 1966 which damaged most of the art collections in Florence severely, including the Uffizi.
Here is a selection from the painting collection:
- Cimabue: Santa Trinita Maestà
- Duccio: Rucellai Madonna
- Giotto: Ognissanti Madonna, Badia Polyptych
- Simone Martini: Annunciation with St. Margaret and St. Ansanus
- Ambrogio Lorenzetti: Presentation at the Temple
- Gentile da Fabriano, Adoration of the Magi
- Paolo Uccello: The Battle of San Romano
- Rogier van der Weyden, Lamentation of Christ
- Fra Filippo Lippi: Madonna and Child, Coronation of the Virgin
- Piero della Francesca: Diptych of Duke Federico da Montefeltro and Duchess Battista Sforza of Urbino
- Andrea del Verrocchio: The Baptism of Christ
- Hugo van der Goes: Portinari Triptych
- Sandro Botticelli: Primavera, The Birth of Venus, Adoration of the Magi of 1475 and others
- Leonardo da Vinci: The Annunciation, Adoration of the Magi
- Piero di Cosimo: Perseus Freeing Andromeda
- Albrecht Dürer: Adoration of the Magi
- Michelangelo: Doni Tondo
- Raphael: Madonna of the Goldfinch, Portrait of Leo X
- Titian: Flora, Venus of Urbino
- Parmigianino: Madonna with the Long Neck
- Caravaggio: Bacchus, Sacrifice of Isaac, Medusa
- Artemisia Gentileschi: Judith and Holofernes
- Rembrandt: Self-portrait as a Young Man, Self-portrait as an Old Man, Portrait of an Old Man
Annunciation, 305 x 265 cm
Giotto di Bondone
Ognissanti Madonna, 325 x 204 cm.
Gentile da Fabriano
Adoration of the Magi, 300 x 282 cm.
Coronation of the Virgin, 112 x 114 cm
The Madonna and St. Anna, 175 x 103 cm.
Adoration of the Magi, 115 x 177 cm.
Birth of Venus, 173 x 279 cm.
La Primavera, 203 x 314 cm.
Adoration of the Magi, 108 x 173 cm.
Adoration of the Magi, 111 x 134 cm.
Piero della Francesca
Dukes of Urbino, 47 x 66 cm.
Madonna and Child with Angel, 95 x 64 cm.
Leonardo da Vinci
Adoration of the Magi, 243 x 246 cm.
Leonardo da Vinci
Annunciation, 98 x 217 cm.
Verrocchio & Leonardo da Vinci
Baptism of Christ, 177 x 151 cm.
Sacred Allegory, 73 x 119 cm.
Piero di Cosimo
Perseus Freeing Andromeda, 70 x 123 cm
Adoration of the Magi, 86 x 162 cm.
Madonna of Long Neck, 216 x 132 cm.
Venus of Urbino, 119 x 165 cm.
In popular culture
- Much of the plot of Dario Argento's 1996 film The Stendhal Syndrome centres around the Uffizi, and the opening sequence takes place in the gallery's rooms (albeit with several paintings hanging on the walls that are not actually in the Uffizi's collection)
- The museum is mentioned in chapter XII of Henry James's 1875 novel, Roderick Hudson. It is said that "There are very fine antiques in the Uffizi."
- The museum is mentioned in Book 1, chapter 24 of Henry James's novel, Portrait of a Lady. "You'd have liked a few things from the Uffizi and the Pitti—that what you'd have liked," said Madame Merle.
- In the Piazza della Signoria.
- The Thomas Pynchon novel, V., contains a chapter centered around an attempted robbery of The Birth of Venus from the museum.
- Official website
- Museum expansion project official website – The New Uffizi
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence by Turismo InToscana
- Uffizi – Google Art Project