The temple is adjacent to Tsukiji Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line.
- History 1
- See also 2
- References 3
- External links 4
The temple burned during a city-wide fire in 1657, and the shogunate refused to allow it to be rebuilt in Asakusa due to a prior project there. Instead, the temple was moved to a new parcel of land being reclaimed by the Sumida River—today's Tsukiji. This land was said to have been reclaimed by Jodo Shinshu followers themselves who lived at nearby Tsukudajima. The name Tsukiji comes from the kanji characters meaning "reclaimed land". This new temple, named Tsukiji Gobo (築地御坊), stood until it was leveled by the Great Kantō earthquake of 1923.
Hongan-ji is a pilgrimage destination due to its artifacts of Prince Shotoku, Shinran Shonin, and Shonyō Shōnin. Shonyō Shōnin (1911-2002), the 23rd monshu is enshrined to the left of the main altar in honor of his contributions to the spreading the Jodo Shinshu teachings abroad so that followers would not be in "name only".
The wake of Hiroaki Shukuzawa was held there on June 22, 2006, and a memorial to popular rock musician Hideto Matsumoto, better known as hide, can be found in the main hall itself, as the temple was the site of the musician's funerary ceremony in 1998.
- Hongan-ji Nagoya Betsuin, which has architectural resemblance
- Glossary of Japanese Buddhism for an explanation of terms concerning Japanese Buddhism, its art, and temple architecture.
- English-language pamphlet from Tsukiji Hongan-ji
Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website