|Birth name||Todd N. Terry|
|Also known as||T.N.T. Black Riot, House of Gypsies, Royal House, Gypsymen, Sound Design, Tee|
April 18, 1967 |
Brooklyn, New York City, United States
|Occupation(s)||DJ, producer, remixer|
Ministry of Sound Records
Tommy Boy Entertainment
|Associated acts||Masters at Work, Tara McDonald|
- Career 1
- Record labels 2
- Singles in charts 3.1
- Selected remixes 3.2
- See also 4
- References 5
- External links 6
Terry began in the 1980s by DJing at parties in New York, playing Italo disco and hip-hop - then later, house music, upon its mid-80s emergence. He debuted, as Masters at Work, with 12” “Alright Alright” (1987, Fourth Floor) and an edit from this was then included on 'Chicago house' vanguard compilation “Jackmaster 1” (1987, D.J. International). Much of Terry's early work, in the late 1980s, is considered a milestone in the development of both progressive and modern deep house. He was responsible for releasing two of the house era's most respected crossover remixes: "I'll House You" by the Jungle Brothers (late-1988) and "Missing" by Everything but the Girl (Aug 1994).
Todd's tracks "Something Goin' On" and "Keep on Jumpin'" were both UK Top 10 hits, with the vocals on both provided by Jocelyn Brown and Martha Wash. Freestyle diva Shannon was the featured vocalist on the UK top 20 hit "It's Over Love" in 1997, which also topped the Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs Chart in the US, as did "Just Wanna Dance"/"Weekend".
In 1999, Todd Terry released Resolutions on Astralwerks Records, which successfully embraced the then still avant-garde drum 'n' bass aesthetic. He also mixes on the albums One Half of a Whole Decade and Live & Remastered.
Terry also used several aliases such as Hardhouse, Swan Lake, Orange Lemon, Royal House, and Black Riot. Under the name "Hardhouse", he has had a UK #96 hit with "Check This Out", not to be confused with an LA Mix song released the same year. He has also recorded as CLS, Masters at Work (with Kenny "Dope" Gonzalez & "Little" Louie Vega), Dredd Stock, House of Gypsies, Limelife, Hard House, Tyme Forse, and the Gypsymen (where under that alias, scored a number-one Billboard Hot Dance/Club play hit in 1992 with "Hear the Music").
Terry co-produced the song "Shake" on P.M. Dawn's debut album, Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience. The song ended with the repeated lyric "Everyone thank Todd Terry". He also produced "The House of Isis" from Isis' 1990 album Rebel Soul.
In 2007 Todd Terry created the Todd Terry All Stars bringing together Kenny Dope, DJ Sneak, Terry Hunter releasing the first single Get Down featuring and co written by Tara McDonald the follow up "Play On" by the Todd Terry All Stars also featured Tara McDonald and was released in 2007 Strictly Rhythm Records/Defected Records and then re released in 2009 with remix by Eddie Thoneick.
InHouse Records was launched by Terry in 1999. It has been the vehicle through which Todd is able to release tracks to his fans without a filter. Currently Inhouse has over 500 commercially available tracks in the catalog including release by House of Gypsies, Roland Clark, Shawnee Taylor, Kelly Sajda, Gypsymen, Black Riot, Leon Cormack, Lewis Beck, DJ E-Clyps and Todd Terry All Stars.
In 2000 Terry launched SoundDesign Records, the home to some of the harder tracks and artists he is working with and on, including releases from Danny Genius, Space Kadets, and Friscia & Lamboy.
In 2013, Todd Terry released the album Todd Terry vs. that Trap Shitt on Tommy Boy Entertainment.
Singles in charts
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|1988||"Bango (To The Batmobile) / Back To The Beat"||83||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||8||
To The Batmobile Let's Go
(as The Todd Terry Project)
|"Weekend / Just Wanna Dance"||56||—||92||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||1|
|1995||"Back From The Dead"||106||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||EP|
|"Missing (Todd Terry Club Mix)" (by Everything but the Girl)||3||3||5||2||2||1||6||2||3||5||11||2||14||2||singles only|
|"A Day In The Life"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||A Day In The Life|
|1996||"Just Make That Move" (feat. Tonya Wynne)||85||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Driving (Todd Terry Remix)" (by Everything but the Girl)||36||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||The Best Of Everything But The Girl|
|"Keep On Jumpin'" (feat. Martha Wash & Jocelyn Brown)||8||24||47||—||—||—||38||—||56||—||—||—||—||—||Ready for a New Day|
|1997||"Something Goin' On" (feat. Martha Wash & Jocelyn Brown)||5||—||64||57||—||93||—||—||43||—||—||—||—||1|
|"It's Over Love" (feat. Shannon)||16||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||1|
|1998||"Reach Out Preacher" (feat. Roland Clark) (US only)||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||48|
|"Ready for a New Day" (feat. Martha Wash)||20||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Can You Feel It '98" (as CLS)||46||—||73||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||single only|
|1999||"Let It Ride"||58||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Resolutions|
|2001||"Raining / Enough Is Enough"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||single only|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released.|
- Anita Doth - Universe
- Annie Lennox -Little Bird
- Bizarre Inc. - I'm Gonna Get You
- Björk - Hyperballad
- The Cardigans - Love Fool
- The Corrs - Dreams
- Dr. Alban - This Time I'm Free
- Duran Duran - Electric Barbarella
- Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
- Everything But The Girl - Drivin
- Everything But The Girl - Missing
- Everything But The Girl - Wrong
- Garbage - Stupid Girl
- Kylie Minogue - Breathe
- Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
- Martha Wash - Runaround
- Meredith Brooks - Bitch
- Playgroup featuring kc Flightt - Front 2 Back
- The Rolling Stones - Saint of Me
- Snap! - Rhythm Is a Dancer
- They Might Be Giants - S-E-X-X-Y
- Ultra Naté - Joy
- Yazoo - Don't Go
- Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
- 10,000 Maniacs - More than This
- Natalia Lesz - Arabesque
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Bush, John "Todd Terry Biography", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-07-02
- Larkin, Colin (1999) The Virgin Encyclopedia of Dance Music, Virgin Books, ISBN 0-7535-0252-6, p.337
- "Discogs:Masters at Work (Todd Terry):Alright Alright", Discogs, retrieved 2013-07-30
- "Discogs:V/A:Jackmaster", Discogs, retrieved 2013-07-30
- "Tod Terry", Chart Stats, retrieved 2011-0702
- "Todd Terry Featuring Martha Wash And Jocelyn Brown", Chart Stats, retrieved 2011-07-02
- "Todd Terry Chart History: Singles", Billboard.com, retrieved 2011-07-02
- "Todd Terry Presents Shannon", Chart Stats, retrieved 2011-07-02
- Kogan, Frank (1989) "To The Batmobile Let's GoThe Todd Terry Project ", SPIN, April 1989, p. 110, retrieved 2011-07-02
- "The Official Charts Company - Todd Terry". The Official Charts Company. 18 January 2015.
- "Todd Terry - UK Chart". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Todd Terry - Dutch chart". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Todd Terry - German Chart". officialcharts.de. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Todd Terry - Austrian chart". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Todd Terry - Swedish chart". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Todd Terry - US Dance Club Songs". billboard.com. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Todd Terry at Discogs
- Tod Terry live at Electrocity Poland (video)
- Todd Terry Official facebook page