Telecommunications equipment (also telecoms equipment or communications equipment) is hardware used for the purposes of telecommunications. Since the 1990s the boundary between telecoms equipment and IT hardware has become blurred as a result of the growth of the internet and its increasing role in the transfer of telecoms data.
- Types 1
- Vendors 2
- See also 3
- References 4
Telecommunications equipment can be broadly broken down into the following categories:
Public switching equipment
- Analogue switches
- Digital switches
- Transmission equipment
- Customer premises equipment
The world's five largest telecommunications equipment (ex. mobile phone handsets) vendors measured by applicable 2013 revenues are:
The world's five largest router and switch vendors measured by applicable revenues in the second quarter of 2013 are:
The world's 10 largest mobile phone handset vendors measured by unit sales in the second quarter of 2013 are (global market share shown in parentheses):
- Samsung (24.7%)
- Microsoft Mobile (14.0%)
- Apple (7.3%)
- LG Electronics (3.9%)
- ZTE (3.5%)
- Huawei (2.6%)
- Lenovo (2.5%)
- TCL (2.3%)
- Sony Mobile Communications (2.2%)
- Yulong (1.8%)
As of 2014 many of the largest telecoms networking equipment vendors are struggling financially due to over supply, rising market share of China-based vendors, and declining revenues for 2G and 3G networks not being fully offset by the growing market for 4G equipment.
- "Telecoms equipment - We have the technology". The Economist. 1 October 1998. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Twisted pair - Nokia and Siemens pool their network divisions to form a new firm". The Economist. 22 June 2006. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Ypsilanti, Dimitri; Plantin, Amy (1991). Telecommunications Equipment: Changing Markets and Trade Structures. OECD Publishing. p. 16.
- "China's ZTE Q1 net income trails forecasts". Reuters. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Cisco leads service provider router, switch market in Q2, ahead of Huawei". Telecom Lead. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Grew 46.5 Percent in Second Quarter of 2013 and Exceeded Feature Phone Sales for First Time". Gartner. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Toughing it out - The future will be difficult for incumbent telecoms-equipment makers, but things are not as bad as they look". The Economist. 25 October 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Analysis : No boom for telco equipment firms in 4G revolution". Reuters. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2012.