Technological University of the Philippines
|Teknolohikal na Unibersidad ng Pilipinas|
|Latin: Technologica Universitas Philippinarum|
|Manila Trade School, Philippine School of Arts and Trades, Philippine College of Arts and Trades|
|Motto||Haligi ng Bayan|
Motto in English
|Post of the Nation|
|Type||State, National University|
|Endowment||₱448.5 million (US$10.4 million)|
|President||Dr. Adora S. Pili|
|Location||Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Campus||Manila (flagship), Taguig, Cavite, Visayas, Batangas, Quezon|
|Colors||Cardinal Red and Grey|
|Nickname||TUP Gray Hawks|
|Mascot||Tek (Manila), Tekya (Taguig), Tekna (Cavite), Tupe (Visayas)|
|Affiliations||ASAIHL, SCUAA, PISCUAA|
The Technological University of the Philippines (TUP or informally Teyups) is a coeducational state university located in Manila, Philippines. It is the flagship of technology education in the Philippines.
- History 1
Colleges and Academic Programs 2
- College of Engineering 2.1
- College of Industrial Technology 2.2
- College of Industrial Education 2.3
- College of Architecture and Fine Arts 2.4
- College of Science 2.5
- College of Liberal Arts 2.6
- Campuses 3
- Integrated Research Training Center 4
- Governance and Administrative Structure 5
- Publications 6
- Image gallery 7
- External links 8
The Technological University of the Philippines was established upon the enactment of Organic Act No. 74 by the Philippine Commission in 1901. TUP was known then as the Manila Trade School (MTS) with the primary intention of developing the dignity of labor. In 1910, Manila Trade School was renamed as the Philippine School of Arts and Trades (PSAT). Pursuant to Republic Act 2237 issued on July 17, 1959, Philippine School of Arts and Trades was given the college status and was renamed the Philippine College of Arts and Trades (PCAT). From 1959 to 1978, PCAT pioneered programs in engineering technology and industrial teacher education. By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1518 issued on July 11, 1978, Philippine College of Arts and Trades was converted into the Technological University of the Philippines.
Today, the TUP Community is proud of the performance of its students locally and abroad. TUP students have created niche in the grounds of engineering, engineering technology, industrial education, science, architecture and fine arts.
As an institution of higher learning, TUP is a recipient of national and international awards. The year 1999 marks the recognition of TUP as a Center of Excellence in the ASEAN Economic Ministers - Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Economic and Industrial Committee (AIMEICC) Working Group on Human Resource Development. This was certified by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Center for Industrial Competitiveness - National Industrial Manpower Training Council. In the same year, the University was awarded as a Center of Development (COD) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in Electrical Engineering (Category 2), Mechanical Engineering (Category 1), and Civil Engineering (Category 1). In June 2002, the Colombo Plan Staff College for Technician Education (CSPC) presented a plaque of recognition to TUP as a Center of Excellence in Graduate Fellowship Programme for Technological, Technical, Industrial and Vocational Education. Moreover, the Association of Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS) based in Japan awarded TUP as a Center of Excellence.
Presently, TUP is a system of four campuses. The main campus of the University is located in Manila. The three satellite campuses are in Taguig, Cavite, and Visayas. In addition to the four campuses, TUP maintains the Integrated Research and Training Center (IRTC) located in the main campus. The Center was established by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) through a Technical Cooperation in 1982.
Colleges and Academic Programs
The University aims to sustain its leadership in technology education. In order to maintain the relevance and competitiveness of the University's academic programs, various reforms were instituted. Annually, the six colleges in the main campus and the three satellite campuses of the University review the relevance of their academic offerings and update their respective course syllabi to sustain and compliment the needed skills, training and education of the workforce requirements in the industry.
|College of Engineering||1979||Prof. Lyndon R. Bague||
|College of Industrial Technology||1978||Dr. Gisela V. Rolluqui||
|College of Industrial Education||1978||Dr. Helen D. Caparas||
|College of Architecture & Fine Arts||1979||Dr. Dionisio A. Espression, Jr.||
|College of Science||1995||Prof. Marilyn M. Ignacio||
|College of Liberal Arts||1995||Dr. Juliet Catane||
College of Engineering
The College of Engineering (COE) is a recipient of Center of Development (COD) status from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). The College produces total quality engineers, graduate professionals and valuable technology researches for industry and society to maximally contribute to national development.
College of Industrial Technology
The College of Industrial Technology traces its roots from the Technical Department of the then Philippine School of Arts and Trades adapted in 1937 which later became the Philippine College of Arts and Trades. In 1978, the then Philippine College of Arts and Trades was converted into the Technological University of the Philippines (TUP). Simultaneously, the College of Industrial Technology arose from the departments of the former Technical Department. Today, the CIT is the center of the industrial technology education of the University.
College of Industrial Education
The roots of the College of Industrial Education (CIE) can be traced in 1929 when the first formal two-year Industrial Teacher Education was offered at the then Philippine School of Arts and Trades. At present, the college serves as the foundation of teacher education in the University. The BS in Industrial Education program at CIE has been offered since 1951 as a four-year teacher education for elementary and secondary levels.
College of Architecture and Fine Arts
The roots of the College of Architecture and Fine Arts (CAFA) can be traced from the drawing subjects required in all courses offered by the University since 1907. The college has been a consistent contributor in the University's achievements and recognition in various art competitions both local and abroad. The CAFA also produces top passers in the Licensure Examination given by the Professional Regulation Commission.
College of Science
By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1518, the Philippine College of Arts and Trades (PCAT) was converted into the Technological University of the Philippines (TUP) on June 11, 1976. The conversion to a university status brought about comprehensive changes in the organizational set-up. To carry out its tasks, the University had to change its one-college structure to a system composed of six colleges, one of which is the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). The CAS was created in 1979 with its four departments, namely: the Languages, the Social and Behavioral Sciences, the Mathematics and Physical Sciences, and the Physical Education. In 1991, the College was mandated to perform dual roles: as a service college and as a science college. On July 24, 1995, the TUP Board of Regents through Referendum No. 13, s. 1995 approved the devolution of some Master Programs of the Graduate School to the mother colleges. Since then, the granting of the degrees in the Master of Arts in Teaching with specializations in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and General Science has become the responsibility of the College of Arts and Sciences. On September 15, 1995, the University Board of Regents authorized to split the College of Arts and Sciences into the College of Science and the College of Liberal Arts. The new College of Science was structured to include graduate programs in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and General Science. The college also offers five (5) baccalaureate programs, namely: Bachelor of Applied Science in Laboratory Technology, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.
College of Liberal Arts
The College of Liberal Arts is the other half when the College of Applied Arts and Sciences was split. The CLA used to be a full service college. In 1999, the BOR approved the offering of Bachelor of Arts in Management major in Industrial Management in the college. Just recently, the college started offering Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurial Management (BSEM).
The TUP System is composed of four campuses located in Manila, Cavite, Taguig, and Visayas. The Main Campus is located on Ayala Boulevard, Ermita, Manila.
- Main Campus
TUP Main is the nucleus of the University. The campus is located along Ayala Boulevard corner San Marcelino St., Ermita, Manila. Presently, the main campus has six colleges as follows: College of Engineering, College of Industrial Technology, College of Industrial Education, College of Architecture and Fine Arts, College of Science, and College of Liberal Arts.
- Satellite Campuses
The TUP Taguig campus was established in 1977 as one of the three prototype technician institutes in the Philippines. On January 3, 1985, the BOR passed and adopted Resolution No. 100 s. 1985 changing the name of the Manila Technician Institute to TUP Taguig campus. The campus is located at Km. 14 East Service Road, South Super Highway, Western Bicutan, Taguig City, Metro Manila. At present, TUP Taguig offers programs in pre-baccalaureate, baccalaureate, and masters level.
The TUP Cavite campus is located in Barangay Salawag, Dasmariñas City, Cavite. The campus was established through Board Resolution No. 1985, s. 1979. The Cavite campus was established with the primary aim of training technicians and skilled workers for gainful employment and income generation particularly in the CALABARZON area. At present, the campus' academic offerings are focused on 3-year technology courses and baccalaureate and master's degree programs.
The intervention of the University in TUP Visayas campus started with the Letter of Instruction (LOI) No. 79 issued by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on December 28, 1978 authorizing TUP to administer the operation of the then Visayas Technician Institute. In 1985, pursuant to TUP Implementing Order No. 85-15, the Visayas Technician Institute was renamed the TUP Visayas campus. Presently, TUP Visayas is situated in Talisay City, Negros Occidental with an extension branch located in Sagay City. Currently, the academic offerings of TUP Visayas campus are in the 3-year technology courses, baccalaureate degree, and master's degree in Technology.
Integrated Research Training Center
The Integrated Research and Training Center (IRTC) is a Japan International Cooperation Agency established center under the care of the Technological University of the Philippines. IRTC provides updating training and meaningful research results towards the continuous development of engineering programs and practices.
The Center provides facilities in the following areas: material engineering and testing, energy engineering, automation, communications, educational multimedia technology, manufacturing and production engineering. IRTC is the research, training and extension arm of the Technological University of the Philippines. It also provides services to industries and higher education institutions, primarily to the state universities and colleges.
Governance and Administrative Structure
The Technological University of the Philippines is governed by a Board of Regents (BOR) composed of key stakeholders of the University. The Board is chaired by the Chairman or Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and vice-chaired by the University President. The members of the Board are represented by various sectors in the country, which include the Chairman of the House Committee on Higher and Technical Education, Chairman on Senate Committee on Education and Culture, the Undersecretary for R&D of the Department of Science and Technology, the Assistant Director General from the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), two representatives from the private sector, and the three presidents of the federations of associations in TUP composed of the Alumni Association, the Faculty Association, and the University Student Government.
|Dr. Adora S. Pili||President|
|Dr. Melito A. Baccay||Vice President for Academic Affairs|
|Prof. Enrico R. Hilario||Vice President for Administration and Finance|
|Prof. Felipe Ronald M. Argamosa||Vice President for Research and Extension|
|Dr. Ronaldo A. Juanatas||Vice President for Planning, Development and Information Systems|
The President of the University exercises the overall leadership in ensuring that the University's efforts are directed towards the attainment of the institutional vision, mission, goals and objectives of TUP. The President works in partnership with the four sectoral vice presidents, namely: Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Research and Extension, and Planning, Development, and Information Systems. Each of the vice presidents is assisted by directors and other officials for the effective implementation of their functions. Since the TUP is a system of four campuses, the Executive Directors of Taguig, Cavite, and Visayas campuses assist the University President in the supervision of the campus activities.
The Philippine Artisan is the official student publication of the University.
The Philippine Journal of Industrial Education and Technology or PJIET is a bi-annual research publication of the University. It publishes research outputs, factual/critical articles, research and book reviews in industrial education and technological research. This is in fulfillment of the mission of the University to provide advanced education, research, and extension. PJIET is published by the University Research and Development Services (URDS).
The TUP Bulletin The TUP Bulletin is the official news publication of the University. It is a quarterly publication covering latest issues and concerns in the different campuses of the University.
Kalinga is a publication of the University Extension Services Office. It is a quarterly publication that publishes latest issues/updates in various extension projects and activities of the University.
- Official website