Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre freestyle
Men's 200 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
July 29, 2012 (heats &
July 30, 2012 (final)
|Competitors||33 from 29 nations|
Swimming at the
2012 Summer Olympics
After overhauling the Americans in the freestyle relay with a stunning anchor leg, France's Yannick Agnel pulled away from a star-studded field by over a full body length to earn his second Olympic gold in swimming at these Games. Billed as the "Race of the Century", he came up again with a spectacular swim on the final stretch to hit the wall first in 1:43.14, posting a textile best in the process and moving rapidly to third in the world's all time rankings. Meanwhile, South Korea's Park Tae-Hwan and China's Sun Yang tied for the silver medal in a matching time of 1:44.93, following a dramatic rivalry in the 400 m freestyle final two days earlier.
U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte, the reigning world champion, missed the podium by 11-hundredths of a second with a fourth-place time in 1:45.04. Germany's world-record holder Paul Biedermann faded down the stretch to pick up a fifth spot in 1:45.53, edging out British home favorite Robbie Renwick by a full body length with a highly-creditable, sixth-place effort (1:46.53). Australia's Thomas Fraser-Holmes (1:46.93) and Russia's Danila Izotov (1:47.75) also vied for an Olympic medal to round out the stellar championship field.
Notable swimmers missed out the final roster featuring Lochte's teammate Ricky Berens, who replaced Michael Phelps to fill out the slot for the Americans but placed ninth (1:46.87); and Switzerland's Dominik Meichtry, a sixth-place finalist in Beijing four years earlier, who finished fifteenth in the semifinals (1:48.25).
- Records 1
- Heats 2.1
- Semifinal 1 2.2.1
- Semifinal 2 2.2.2
- Final 2.3
- References 3
- External links 4
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Paul Biedermann (GER)||1:42.00||Rome, Italy||28 July 2009|||
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:42.96||Beijing, China||12 August 2008|||
No new records were set during this competition.
|2||4||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:46.31||Q|
|3||3||Robbie Renwick||Great Britain||1:46.65||Q|
|5||6||Ricky Berens||United States||1:46.87|
|6||1||Brett Fraser||Cayman Islands||1:47.01|
|3||3||Park Tae-Hwan||South Korea||1:46.02||Q|
|3||Park Tae-Hwan||South Korea||1:44.93|
|4||2||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:45.04|
|6||1||Robbie Renwick||Great Britain||1:46.53|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules".
- "France's Agnel wins 200-metre freestyle gold".
- "Yannick Agnel wins 200 freestyle".
- "Park Tae-hwan Settles for Second Silver in 200-m Free".
- "2012 London Olympics: Yannick Agnel Earns Second Gold of Meet With 200 Free Triumph; Posts Textile Best; Lochte Out of the Medals".
- "Ryan Lochte finishes fourth in 200-meter freestyle at London Olympics, France’s Yannick Agnel wins gold".
- Clarey, Christopher (30 July 2012). "Agnel Outduels Lochte Again as French Savor Early Success".
- "Agnel claims gold in 200m freestyle as Renwick trails home in sixth".
- "Spofforth, Tancock, and Renwick miss out".
- "2012 London Olympics: Sun Yang, Yannick Agnel Post 1:45s to Lead Men's 200 Free Semis; Lochte 5th".
- Dillman, Lisa (29 July 2009). "Suit case: German ends Phelps' reign".
- Jeffery, Nicole (29 July 2009). "Paul Biedermann beats Michael Phelps in 200m freestyle".
- "Phelps breaks 200 free world record by nearly a second".
- "Men's 200m Freestyle – Heats".
- NBC Olympics Coverage