Sigmund-Ulrich Freiherr von Gravenreuth
|Sigmund-Ulrich Freiherr von Gravenreuth|
21 October 1909
16 October 1944
|Years of service||1934–44|
|Commands held||KG 30|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Sigmund-Ulrich Freiherr von Gravenreuth[a] (21 October 1909 – 16 October 1944) was a German Luftwaffe bomber pilot and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Sigmund-Ulrich Freiherr von Gravenreuth died when his plane crashed on 16 October 1944 near Breslau. He was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 9 January 1945.
- Awards 1
- Footnotes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
- Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (18 May 1940)
- 1st Class (21 June 1940)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (14 March 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (31 March 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 168.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 79.
- Kaiser, Jochen (2010). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger—Band 1 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Bomber Fliers—Volume 1] (in German and English). Bad Zwischenahn, Germany: Luftfahrtverlag-Start.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Oberstleutnant Wilhelm Kern
Geschwaderkommodore of Kampfgeschwader 30
September 1943 – 16 October 1944
Oberst Bernhard Jope