|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2009)|
Situated at the foot of Montmartre, it is notable as the first example of reinforced cement in church construction. Built from 1894 through 1904, it was designed by architect Anatole de Baudot, a student of Viollet-le-Duc and Henri Labrouste. The brick and ceramic tile-faced structure exhibits features of Art Nouveau design while exploiting the superior structural qualities of reinforced concrete with lightness and transparency. The Art Nouveau stained glass was executed by Jac Galland according to the design of Pascal Blanchard. Interior sculpture was by Pierre Roche.
The reinforced concrete structure followed a system developed by the engineer Paul Cottancin. Construction was attended by skepticism over the properties of the new material, which violated rules laid down for unreinforced masonry construction. A lawsuit delayed construction, resulting in a demolition order that was not resolved until 1902, when construction was resumed.
There is a guided tour of the church on every fourth Sunday of the month at 4:00 PM.
The http://orgues-fossaert.com/ to restore the instrument. This project, entirely financed by the City of Paris, began in 2009 and lasted fourteen months.
- Photo Gallery
- To obtain the stoplist for this organ, as well as for all the organs of Paris
- Parish website
|Located near the metro station: Abbesses.|
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in France is a stub. You can help World Heritage Encyclopedia by expanding it.|