25 June 1913
Did not recognize date. Try slightly modifying the date in the first parameter. (aged 28)
south of Toropets, Soviet Union
|Years of service||1934–1942|
|Unit||Condor Legion (A 88)|
|Commands held||III./ZG 76|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Rolf Kaldrack (25 June 1913 – 3 February 1942) was a German Luftwaffe fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. A flying ace or fighter ace is a military aviator credited with shooting down five or more enemy aircraft during aerial combat. Kaldrack is credited with at least 24 aerial victories, 3 of which claimed during the Spanish Civil War flying with Aufklärungsgruppe 88 of the Condor Legion.
Rolf Kaldrack and his aerial gunner Unteroffizier Enke were killed in action on 3 February 1942 south of Toropets. Kaldrack flying a Messerschmitt Bf 110 E-1 "S9+IC" (Werksnummer 4057 — factory number), collided with a Mig-1 he had just shot down. Posthumously he received the 70th Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
- Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords
- Iron Cross (1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 5 February 1942 (posthumously) as Hauptmann in the II./SKG 210
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Spick 1996, pp. 3–4.
- Obermaier 1989, p. 48.
- Thomas 1997, p. 344.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 217.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 429.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Spick, Mike (1996). Luftwaffe Fighter Aces. New York:
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Frey, Gerhard; Herrmann, Hajo: Helden der Wehrmacht II - Unsterbliche deutsche Soldaten (in German). München, Germany: FZ-Verlag GmbH, 2003. ISBN 3-924309-62-0.