Queens Botanical Garden
The Queens Botanical Garden began as part of the 1939 New York World's Fair in Queens. After the fair, the garden expanded to take up a larger portion of Flushing Meadows Park. When work was begun on construction of the 1964 World's Fair, the garden was moved to a site across the street from Flushing Meadows Park to a location atop the stream bed of Kissena Creek.
The Queens Botanical Garden now consists of 39 acres (158,000 m²) of rose, bee, herb, and perennial gardens. It is open to the public. Wedding photography is popular on the lawns by appointment. Among other attractions, the garden hosts a Bee Garden.
In 2005, it was among 406 New York City arts and social service institutions to receive part of a $20 million grant from the Carnegie Corporation, which was made possible through a donation by then-New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
On September 27, 2007, Mayor Bloomberg and other dignitaries attended the ribbon cutting of QBG's new visitor center. The center, designed by BKSK Architects, was the first building in New York City to achieve the "Platinum" LEED rating, effectively becoming one of New York's greenest buildings since other New York buildings have since gotten the LEED certification.
- Official website
- USGBC Profile of Queens Botanical Garden