|Country||United States of America|
|County||Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||597903|
Piscataway is an Maryland, United States. It is one of the oldest European-colonized communities in the state. The Piscataway Creek provided sea transportation for export of tobacco. It is located near the prior Piscataway tribe village of Kittamaqundi.
Piscataway was created in 1706 when the Broad Creek) and Upper Marlboro (then known as Marlborough Town).
In 1747, the legislature tried to improve the quality and the method of marketing
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Piscataway, Maryland
- Paul Joseph Travers (1990). The Patapsco: Baltimore's River of History. Maryland Historical Society Tidewater Publishers. p. 20.
- Baltz, Shirley Vlasak (1984). A Chronicle of
- "African-American Sites Along the Patuxent River: Queen Anne Town". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved 05/04/2007.
- Virta, Alan (1984). Prince George's County: A Pictorial History.
- "Marbury v. Madison". Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "Judicial Review and the Supreme Court". Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- *"The Sot-Weed Factor," Renaissance Edition
- Along the Potomac Shore in Prince George's County (local history book)
A number of historic houses still survive in the middle of the little town, including a former hotel/tavern, although the last business (the John Wood store) closed in the 1970s. A large development called "The Preserve" is partially opened and is eventually planned to have 1,100 single-family homes. A short bypass road recently opened around the community. The central part of the historic village, centered on stretch of Floral Park Road, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The St. Mary's Catholic Church, school, and cemetery are a prominent feature of the community. The complex includes the small 1904 church and a larger 1988 sanctuary. Its parish boundaries include portions of five separate postal towns/communities, giving it the largest territory of any parish in the Archdiocese of Washington.
During Prohibition in the 1920s, the area was known for the production and sale of moonshine. Some of the product was moved by boat to other areas along the Chesapeake Bay. The creek is now silted in and no longer navigable.