16 October 1910|
7 January 1997
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||StG 2|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Paul-Werner Hozzel (16 October 1910 – 7 January 1997) was a German World War II Luftwaffe Stuka pilot and the first pilot of that type of plane to be awarded with the coveted Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
Paul-Werner Hozzel joined the Artillerie-Regiment 2 in 1931 and transferred to the Luftwaffe in 1935. He took command of the 2nd Staffel of Jagdgeschwader 20 on 1 September 1938 and shortly afterwards was promoted to Hauptmann.
At the outbreak of Oscarsborg Fortress.
Further success followed with the destruction of the French destroyer Bison (2,435 tons) und the British destroyer Afridi (1,850 tons). The British battleship Warspite and the aircraft carrier Illustrious were attacked on 10 January 1941. Illustrious was hit 8 times putting her out of service for several weeks.
Hozzel was promoted to Oberstleutnant and made Geschwaderkommodore of Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 "Immelmann" on 16 October 1941. With SG 2, he fought in the Battle of Stalingrad, the Geschwader flew 12,000 combat missions in this engagement.
In was then tasked to form "Gefechtsverband Hozzel" from parts of the Stuka-Geschwaders 1, 2 and 77 participating in the battles around Dnipropetrovsk. Hozzel was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves on 14 April 1943.
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 September 1939)
- 1st Class (5 May 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1997, p. 305.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 406.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 236.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 68.
- Brütting, Georg (1995). Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse 1939 – 1945 [These were the German Stuka Aces 1939 – 1945] (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
Oberstleutnant Oskar Dinort
Commander of Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 Immelmann
16 October 1941 – 13 February 1943
Oberstleutnant Dr. Ernst Kupfer