3 March 1894|
Hamburg, German Empire
2 November 1967
|Years of service||1914–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Otto Kähler (3 March 1894 – 2 November 1967) was a Konteradmiral with the Kriegsmarine during World War II. He commanded the German auxiliary cruiser Thor, a merchant raider, on two combat patrols and sank or captured 12 ships, for a combined tonnage of 96,547 gross register tons (GRT) of Allied shipping. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Kähler relinquished command of Thor on 20 July 1941 to Günther Gumprich, who would also received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross as commander of Thor.
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (1 October 1915)
- U-boat War Badge (1918)
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
Iron Cross (1939)
- 1st Class
- Auxiliary Cruiser Badge
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Dörr 1995, p. 298.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 248.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 88.
- Dörr, Manfred (1995). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine—Band 1: A–K [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Surface Forces of the Navy—Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio Verlag.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- "Deutsches Marinearchiv". Otto Kähler. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "Lexikon der Wehrmacht". Otto Kähler. Retrieved 23 November 2010.