Otology is a branch of acoustic neuromas. Neurotology is expanded to include surgery of the lateral skull base to treat intracranial tumors related to the ear and surrounding nerve and vascular structures, such as large cerebellar pontine angle acoustic neuromas, glomus jugulare tumors and facial nerve tumors.
Some of the concerns of otology include:
- identifying the underlying mechanisms of Ménière's disease,
- finding the causes of tinnitus and developing treatment methods,
- defining the development and progression of otitis media
Related concerns of neurotology include:
- studying signal processing in the cochlear implant patient,
- investigating postural control areas and vestibulo-ocular mechanisms.
- studying the genetics of acoustic neuromas in patients with Neurofribromatosis, to better understanding how to treat these tumors and prevent their growth.