Otaki Railway Station
|Address||Arthur Street, Otaki|
|Line(s)||North Island Main Trunk|
Otaki Railway Station is a station on the North Island Main Trunk railway line serving Otaki in the Kapiti Coast District of New Zealand. It is served by the Capital Connection long distance commuter train between Wellington and Palmerston North.
- History 1
- Services 2
- Future 3
- References 4
- Biblilography 5
- External links 6
The station was opened by the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company (W&MR) in 1886 as an intermediate station on the Wellington-Manawatu Line. The WMR had a locomotive depot and refreshment rooms there. Initially it was known as New Otaki to differentiate from the original settlement, but was soon changed to Otaki.
Following the nationalisation of W&MR in 1908, a new station was opened in 1909, but was destroyed by fire in July 1910. The replacement Type B station was designed by the notable NZR architect New Zealand Historic Places Trust Class II listing.
The following Metlink bus routes serve Otaki station:
- 290: Otaki Beach
There is currently a campaign to extend the electrified commuter services to Otaki, following a recent extension of the Kapiti Line to Waikanae. In 2012 the Greater Wellington Regional Council investigated extension of the electrification with Matangi trains north of Waikanae to Otaki (estimated cost $30 million for the Otaki project) and north of Upper Hutt to a new station at Timberlea. Extension of electrification north to Otaki was removed from official long-term rail improvement plans in 2014.
- Nigel Wilson. "Raumati Station Now". Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Forbes, Michael (24 November 2012). "Electric extension for trains". The Dominion Post (Wellington: Fairfax NZ News). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- KLYEN, SAM (7 March 2014). Inter-regional" rail service to Wellington mulled""". Kapiti Observer (Kapiti Coast: Fairfax New Zealand). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Cassells, K.R., Uncommon Carrier: The History of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company, 1882-1908 (Wellington, NZRLS, 1994, ISBN 0-908573-63-4)
- Hoy, Douglas, West of the Tararuas: An Illustrated History of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company (Wellington, Southern Press, 1972)
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust website - article on Otaki Station
- (1908)Cyclopaedia of New ZealandOtaki Railway in the