Olympic Park (Buffalo)

Olympic Park (Buffalo)

Olympic Park is a former baseball ground located in Buffalo, New York, USA. The ground was home to the Buffalo Bisons baseball club of the National League from 1884 to 1885.[1] The park was located on the North East corner of Richmond Avenue & Summer Street, bounded by Norwood Avenue. Professional Baseball continued to be played here in the International League until the lease ran out on the Richmond Avenue & Summer Street location in 1888.

Prior to 1884, Buffalo's baseball teams played at an unnamed park (known today as "Riverside Park") at Fargo Avenue and Rhode Island Street from 1878 to 1884. The owner of the site, Alexander Culbert, decided to redevelop the stadium and the team left the site for Olympic Park.[2]

After the conclusion of the 1888 season the stadium was moved to East Ferry & Michigan Avenue with the last professional game being played in this park on September 28, 1888 when the Buffalo Bisons played the Cuban Giants.[3]

In 1890, the Players League Buffalo Bisons franchise played its lone season at Olympic Park. The ballpark they played in was actually the second incarnation of Olympic Park. When the lease expired on the first Olympic Park at the end of the 1888 season, the team's owner dismantled the structure, plank by plank, and moved it to another location. The new facility is known as both Olympic Park II and Buffalo Ball Park. It was first used in 1889 by the Buffalo team in the International Association. In 1891, it was used by the Buffalo team in the Eastern Association. The location is currently occupied by a residential neighborhood.

Preceded by
Riverside Park
Home of the
Buffalo Bisons

Succeeded by
Buffalo Baseball Park
  1. ^ Buffalo Bisons History bisons.com accessed 19-APR-2008
  2. ^ When Baseball Came to Richmond Avenue
  3. ^ When Baseball came to Richmond Avenue richomndavenue.org accessed 19-APR-2008