New York City Omnibus Corporation
The New York City Omnibus Corporation (later Fifth Avenue Coach Lines) ran bus services in New York City between 1926 and 1962. It expanding in 1935/36 with new bus route to replace the New York Railways Corporation streetcars when these were dismantled and again with the acquisition of Fifth Avenue Coach Company from The Omnibus Corporation in 1954. The company was renamed as 'Fifth Avenue Coach Lines' in 1956 and became bankrupt in 1962 after which operations were taken over by the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority.
The New York City Omnibus Corporation was formed in 1926 with John A Ritchie as President Richie was also president of The Omnibus Corporation which had been founded a year earlier.
The company introduced new bus lines to replace the streetcar lines being withdrawn by the New York Railways Corporation in 1935/36 which The Omnibus Corporation also owned.
The company went bankrupt in 1962 and the services were taken over by the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority.
"Gas-Electric Motorbus Co., Roland Gas-Electric Vehicle Co., New York Motor Bus Co....".
New York City Omnibus Corp. was formed in 1926 with Ritchie president)
"Securities and Exchange Commission". 1945. p. 238.
The New York Omnibus Corporation, successor to the New York Railways Corporation commenced the operation of bus route in 1936. In all but one year since then it has been profitable
"Guide to the Fifth Avenue Coach Company Collection 1895-1962". New York History Society.
n 1954, after acquiring the Hertz car rental business, the Omnibus Corporation sold the assets of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company to the New York City Omnibus Corporation, which was renamed Fifth Avenue Coach Lines in 1956.
- Bus maps circa 1940s