Mercer, New Zealand
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|Population (2006 census)|
|Mercer is covered by meshblocks 0843000 and 0843100 NZStats interactive map|
|Time zone||NZST (UTC+12)|
|• Summer (DST)||NZDT (UTC+13)|
Mercer is a village in the Waikato District Council area of the Waikato region of the North Island of New Zealand. It is 70 km north of Hamilton and 58 km south of Auckland, on the east bank of the Waikato River, 2 km south of its confluence with the Mangatawhiri River.
Mercer has a primary school and its shops and cafes continue to fill the role of a midpoint refreshment stop between Hamilton and Auckland, which its railway station refreshment room once did.
The first attack in the invasion of the Waikato took place on 17 July 1863, when about 15 Māori defenders were killed at Koheroa (a kilometre north - see 1:50,000 map). The village was named after a Captain killed at Rangiriri in November 1863. The navy river gun-boat Pioneer was wrecked on the Manukau bar in 1866 and one of the gun turrets forms part of the war memorial.
The beached hulls of steamers operated until 1976 by Caesar Roose can be seen on the west bank of the river just south of Mercer. In 1965 Caesar offered $100,000 towards the $343,000 bridge to replace the Mercer ferry. The 480 feet long single span concrete  Caesar Roose Bridge was opened on 18 November 1972.
- Te Ara Mercer war memorial
- page 184 Raglan County Hills and Sea 1876-1976
- Waikato river levels
- Waikato water pollution