Matt Bernstein (born December 26, 1982) is a former American football standout at University of Wisconsin–Madison, who is currently a free agent of the Arena Football League after a stint in the National Football League with the Detroit Lions.  Inducted into the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2006. He has two brothers, Alex and Ben.
Bernstein is Jewish, and decided to fast right to honor Yom Kippur, prior to taking on Penn State. Bernstein then rehydrated after his fast – according to an ESPN story, “The Wisconsin junior feasted on a pregame IV bag, and during the game, moved on to turkey slices, fruit and the Penn State defense.”
- Produced 53 touchdown-resulting blocks for a ground game that totaled 71 rushing touchdowns during his first three seasons at Wisconsin.
- Averaged 10 knockdown blocks per game and made 11 touchdown resulting blocks as a pass protector.
- Preseason All-American and All-Big Ten Conference first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report as a senior.
- Inducted into the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.
- Started every game as a junior and finished third on the team with a career-high 300 rushing yards and a touchdown.
- Played in every game in 2003 as a sophomore and emerged as the starting fullback.
- Elroy Hirsch Football Scholarship.
- Academic All-Big Ten Conference selection as a redshirt freshman.
- Signed by the Lions as an undrafted free agent.
High school highlights
- Two-time Class C Player of the Year selection at Edgemont High School in New York.
- Played fullback, linebacker and tight end.
- Rushed for 1,885 yards and 25 scores as a junior.
- Added 37 touchdowns and 2,002 yards on the ground and made 108 tackles with seven forced fumbles as a senior, earning the prep version of the Heisman Trophy for that performance.
- Finished his career ranked third all-time in New York prep annals in scoring with 504 points.
- Con Edison Scholar-Athlete
- Profile of Bernstein on Detroit Lions web site.
- Profile of Bernstein on National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame web site.
- Draft profile of Bernstein from Fox Sports.
- Video highlights of Bernstein.
- Trading card of Bernstein, 2006 Fleer Rookie Card #172 (Detroit Lions).
- "Leader of Edgemont High Team Runs Through the Competition", profile of Bernstein in New York Times, December 3, 2000, by Chuck Slater.
- "All work and mo' pray for Bernstein", profile of Bernstein in Chicago Sun-Times, August 16, 2005, by Herb Gould.
|This biographical article relating to an American football running back born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help World Heritage Encyclopedia by expanding it.|