13 November 1890
2 May 1945
near Parma, Italy
Austria–Hungary (to 1918)
First Austrian Republic (to 1938)
|Years of service||
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Martin Strahammer (13 November 1890 – 2 May 1945) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Following his capture as prisoner of war, he was shot by American forces on 2 May 1945 at Parma under unclear circumstances.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (8 September 1917)
- Wound Medal with 2 stripes
- Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with Swords
- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration
- Karl Troop Cross
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (4 July 1941)
Iron Cross (1939)
- 1st Class (5 August 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold on 11 March 1943 as Oberst in Grenadier-Regiment 266
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 358.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 463.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 336.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 73.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Generalmajor Hans-Joachim Ehlert
Commander of 114. Jäger Division
15 April 1945 – 23 April 1945