Lynnwood High School
|Lynnwood High School|
18218 North Road
Bothell, Washington, 98036
|Type||Public secondary school|
|Motto||Home of the Royals|
|School district||Edmonds School District|
|• Grade 9||290 (2017)|
|• Grade 10||367(2016)|
|• Grade 11||303 (2015)|
|• Grade 12||462 (2014)|
|Average class size||~23 (2012)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22:1 (2007)|
|Campus type||Suburban, co-educational|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Rival||Mountlake Terrace High School|
|Newspaper||The Royal Gazette|
Lynnwood High School
Lynnwood High School is a high school in the Edmonds School District, located in Bothell, Washington. The school has approximately 1600 students enrolled for grades 9-12 as of the 2013-2014 school year.
- School information 1
- Green features 2.1
- Design awards 2.2
- Old 184th St location 3
- Notable alumni 4
- See also 5
- References 6
- External links 7
The school buildings are located on North Road, east of Lynnwood. The funding for construction was approved in 2006 and construction began in June 2007, after a wooded area was logged.
Designed by Bassetti Architects, the building was opened on September 8, 2009 It is configured around a central common space called The Agora, named after the Greek word for “place of assembly” and “marketplace”. Four wings radiate from the Agora: two are two-story classroom wings, the others are a performing arts wing and an athletics wing. The gymnasium and performing arts wings are designed to function separately from the rest of the building outside of normal school hours.
The new school has many environmentally friendly features such as skylights to bring in natural sunlight into the building instead of using lighting. Despite protests from some environmental groups, the school was built on a wooded area. West of the new football field are the remaining evergreen trees in a protected wetland. A natural area to the north of the school is protected wetland with a pond and trees. A storm water detention pond north of the football field diverts potentially polluted water from going into local creeks and waterways. Classrooms are not air conditioned but have natural convection ventilation. The buildings have received an Energy Star design certification. Its expected energy use is a reduction of 44 percent compared with an average building of similar type.
The new building received the international annual design award of the Council of Educational Facilities Planners International for 2010, the James D. MacConnell Award for outstanding new educational facilities. In 2011 the new school was recognized as one of ten “Schools of the 21st Century – The Latest Thinking and Best Ideas on the Planning and Design of K-12 School Buildings”, by Architectural Record magazine.
Old 184th St location
The former Lynnwood High School was located at 3001 184th St SW, it was vacant from 2009 to 2015. Demolition of the old high school began in October 2010.
The site is planned to be redeveloped into a multi-use center called Lynnwood Place with retail and restaurant components. In December 2010 it was announced that Costco Wholesale would occupy 160,000 square feet (15,000 m2) of the property. Construction started on the Costco in July 2014 and opened on October 1st 2015.
- Randy Couture - State Champion wrestler (Wa); retired professional mixed martial artist, former UFC Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Champion, UFC Hall of Fame member, Olympic alternate for wrestling, and actor
- Orlondo Steinauer - retired CFL player
- Student Handbook
- HeraldNet.com - Local news: New Lynnwood High School is full of school pride
- Wood Harbinger
- Lynnwood High School
- ENERGY STAR Building Design Profile - Lynnwood High School : ENERGY STAR
- James D. MacConnell Award
- Architectural Record 2011
- "Costco to open store at old Lynnwood High School site". HeraldNet.com. December 9, 2010.
- Project Narrative - Lynnwood Place, Edmonds School District webpage. Retrieved 2013-01-05
- "Costco development at old Lynnwood HS site kicks into high gear". LynnwoodToday.com. February 24, 2011.
- Lynnwood Development, KOMO News, June 13, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-05
- "Randy Couture UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.
- Lynnwood High School official website
- Edmonds School District official website