Ludwig Wolff (general)
3 April 1893
9 November 1968
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1912–45|
|Rank||General der Infanterie|
22. Infanterie-Division (Luftlande)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Ludwig Wolff (3 April 1893 – 9 November 1968) was a highly decorated General der Infanterie in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the XXXIII. corps. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ludwig Wolff was captured by American troops in 1945 and was held until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Lifesaving Medal (Prussia)
- Knight's Cross Second Class of the Civil Order of Saxony with Swords
- Knight's Cross of the Second Class of the Albert Order with Swords
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (November 1914)
- 1st Class (28 June 1917)
- Knight's Cross of the Military Order of St. Henry (19 September 1916)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (13 May 1940)
- 1st Class (18 May 1940)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal
- Crimea Shield
Order of Michael the Brave
- 3rd Class (8 May 1942)
- German Cross in Gold on 8 February 1942 as Generalmajor in the 22 Infanterie-Division
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 26 May 1940 as Oberst and commander of Infanterie-Regiment 192
- 100th Oak Leaves on 22 June 1942 as Generalmajor and commander of 22 Infanterie-Division (Luftlande) 55
- Thomas 1998, p. 459.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 522.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 366.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 54.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalleutnant Hans Graf von Sponeck
Commander of 22. Infanterie-Division (Luftlande)
10 October 1941 – 1 August 1942
Generalmajor Friedrich-Wilhelm Müller
General der Artillerie Erwin Engelbrecht
Commander of XXXIII. Armeekorps
25 December 1943 – 10 August 1944
General der Kavallerie Carl-Erik Koehler