Ludwig Müller (general)
|Johann Ludwig Müller|
28 June 1892|
28 June 1972
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1914–45|
|Rank||General der Infanterie|
97. Jäger Division
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Johann Ludwig Müller (28 June 1892 – 28 June 1972) was a General der Infanterie in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ludwig Müller was captured by Soviet troops in August 1944 and was held until 1955.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (10 July 1915)
- 1st Class (8 April 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (21 October 1939)
- 1st Class (31 May 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (28 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 106.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 260.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 69.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalmajor Albert Buck
Commander of 198. Infanterie-Division
27 August 1942 – 5 February 1943
Generalleutnant Hans-Joachim von Horn
Generalmajor Friedrich-Wilhelm Otte
Commander of 97. Jäger Division
3 June 1943 – 12 December 1943
Generalleutnant Friedrich-Carl Rabe von Pappenheim