12 June 1904
11 February 1945
|Years of service||1936–45|
|Commands held||320. Volksgrenadier-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
|Other work||Police officer|
Ludwig Kirschner (12 June 1904 – 11 February 1945) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the 320. Volksgrenadier-Division. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ludwig Kirschner was killed on 11 February 1945 in Saybusch, Poland.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (31 December 1940)
- 1st Class (14 September 1941)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
War Merit Cross with Swords
- 2nd Class
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- Crimea Shield
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (8 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 257, 494.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 55.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Commander of 320. Volksgrenadier-Division
1 November 1944 – 11 February 1945
Oberst Rolf Scherenberg