Lovington, New Mexico
|Lovington, New Mexico|
Lovington Public Library
Location of Lovington, New Mexico
|• Total||4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)|
|• Land||4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,911 ft (1,192 m)|
|• Density||1,983.6/sq mi (765.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0899742|
|Website||City of Lovington|
- Geography 1
- Demographics 2
- Notable people 3
- References 4
- External links 5
Lovington is located at (32.946459, -103.353618).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.8 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.42%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,471 people, 3,297 households, and 2,459 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,983.6 people per square mile (766.6/km²). There were 3,823 housing units at an average density of 800.7 per square mile (309.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 59.85% White, 3.03% African American, 0.78% Native American, 0.48% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 32.74% from other races, and 3.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 52.12% of the population.
There were 3,297 households out of which 41.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.8% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 18.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 96.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,458, and the median income for a family was $30,064. Males had a median income of $28,547 versus $19,826 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,752. About 20.1% of families and 22.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.1% of those under age 18 and 16.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Ray Berry, American football player
- Ronnie Black, professional golfer
- Taymon Domzalski, retired Duke University basketball player
- Paul L. Foster, billionaire philanthropist and President of Western Refining
- Shirley Hooper, New Mexico Secretary of State
- Sean Murphy, professional golfer
- Earlene Roberts (1935–2013), politician
- Ralph Tasker, basketball coach
- Titanic Thompson, singer
- Brian Urlacher, retired NFL football player
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990".
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder".
- Ganz, Adam. "'"`It's been the most fun season I've had here.
- New Mexico Activities Association