Lithuania–United States relations
Lithuania is one of the most pro-American nations in Europe and the world, with 73% of Lithuanians viewing the U.S. positively in 2011. According to the 2012 U.S. Global Leadership Report, 48% of Lithuanians approve of U.S. leadership, with 20% disapproving and 32% uncertain.
- History 1
- See also 2
- References 3
- External links 4
The United States established diplomatic relations with Lithuania on July 28, 1922. The Soviet invasion forced the closure of the Legation to Lithuania on September 5, 1940, but Lithuanian representation in the United States continued uninterrupted. The United States never recognized the forcible incorporation of Lithuania into the USSR and views the present government of Lithuania as a legal continuation of the interwar republic. In 2007, the United States and Lithuania celebrated 85 years of continuous diplomatic relations. Lithuania has enjoyed most-favored-nation treatment with the United States since December 1991. Since 1992, the United States has committed more than $100 million in Lithuania to economic and political transformation and to humanitarian needs. The United States and Lithuania signed an agreement on bilateral trade and intellectual property protection in 1994 and a bilateral investment treaty in 1997. In 1998, the United States signed a "Charter of Partnership" with Lithuania and the other Baltic countries establishing bilateral working groups focusing on improving regional security, defense, and economic issues.
Principal U.S. officials include:
- Ambassador—Anne E. Derse
- Deputy Chief of Mission—Anne Hall
- Political and Economic Section Chief—John M. Finkbeiner Jr.
- PAO—Jonathan M. Berger
- Defense Attaché—Jeffrey L. Jennette
- Defense Cooperation Officer—Cynthia A. Matuskevich
- Management Officer—Alboino L. Deulus
- Consular Officer—Anthony T. Beaver
The U.S. Embassy in Lithuania is located in Vilnius (Akmenu 6).
Principal Lithuania officials include:
- Ambassador - Audrius Bruzga
- Executive Assistant to the Ambassador - Eglė Janeliūnaitė
- Deputy Chief of Mission - Tomas Gulbinas
- History of Lithuania - U.S. relations
- Embassy of the United States
- Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the USA