List of Toronto Blue Jays seasons
The Toronto Blue Jays are a professional baseball team based in Toronto, Ontario, and a member of Major League Baseball's (MLB) American League East Division. Since June 5, 1989, the Blue Jays have played in the Rogers Centre (called the "SkyDome" until February 2, 2005). Before that, they played at Exhibition Stadium. The name "Blue Jays" was chosen via a contest in 1976 from among more than 4,000 suggestions.
The Blue Jays made their MLB debut during the 1977 baseball season, as an expansion team. They first made the playoffs in 1985, by capturing the American League East Division, but lost the American League Championship Series (ALCS) in seven games to the Kansas City Royals. The team returned to the playoffs in 1989, where they lost to the Oakland Athletics in the ALCS in five games, and again in 1991, where once more the Blue Jays were defeated in the ALCS in five games, this time by the Minnesota Twins.
In 1992, the Blue Jays became the first Canadian-based team to win the Commissioner's Trophy, with a pair of six-game victories over Oakland in the ALCS and the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. In 1993, they repeated their success, with another pair of six-game victories over the Chicago White Sox in the ALCS and the Philadelphia Phillies in the World Series. The team has not qualified for post-season play since, frequently finishing the regular season in third place in their division.
Year by year results
|World Series Champions†
||American League Champions‡
||Wild Card Berth§|
|1977||1977||AL||East||7th||161||54||107||.335||45.5||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1978||1978||AL||East||7th||161||59||102||.366||40||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1979||1979||AL||East||7th||162||53||109||.327||50.5||Did not make the playoffs||Alfredo Griffin (Co-ROY)[g][h]|
|1980||1980||AL||East||7th||162||67||95||.414||36||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1981[j]||1981||AL||East||7th||58||16||42||.276||18||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1982||1982||AL||East||6th||162||78||84||.481||17||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1983||1983||AL||East||4th||162||89||73||.549||9||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1984||1984||AL||East||2nd||162||89||73||.549||15||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1985||1985||AL||East*||1st||161||99||62||.615||—||Lost ALCS[k] to the Royals, 3–4.||Bobby Cox (MOY)[m]|
|1986||1986||AL||East||4th||162||86||76||.531||9.5||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1987||1987||AL||East||2nd||162||96||66||.593||2||Did not make the playoffs||George Bell (MVP)[n]|
|1988||1988||AL||East||3rd||162||87||75||.537||2||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1989||1989[p]||AL||East*||1st||162||89||73||.549||—||Lost ALCS to the Athletics, 1–4.||—|
|1990||1990||AL||East||2nd||162||86||76||.531||2||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1991||1991||AL||East*||1st||162||91||71||.562||—||Lost ALCS to the Twins, 1–4.||—|
|1992†||1992||AL‡||East*||1st||162||96||66||.593||—|| Won ALCS over the Athletics, 4–2.
Won World Series over the Braves, 4–2.
|1993†||1993||AL‡||East*||1st||162||95||67||.586||—|| Won ALCS over the White Sox, 4–2.
Won World Series over the Phillies, 4–2.
|1994[q]||1994||AL||East||3rd||115||55||60||.478||16||No postseason held due to Player's Strike.||—|
|1995[r]||1995||AL||East||5th||144||56||88||.389||30||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|1996||1996||AL||East||4th||162||74||88||.457||18||Did not make the playoffs||Pat Hentgen (CYA)[s]|
|1997||1997||AL||East||5th||162||76||86||.469||22||Did not make the playoffs||Roger Clemens (CYA)|
|1998||1998||AL||East||3rd||162||88||74||.543||26||Did not make the playoffs||Roger Clemens (CYA)|
|1999||1999||AL||East||3rd||162||84||78||.519||14||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2000||2000||AL||East||3rd||162||83||79||.512||4.5||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2001||2001||AL||East||3rd||162||80||82||.494||16||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2002||2002||AL||East||3rd||162||78||84||.481||25.5||Did not make the playoffs||Eric Hinske (ROY)|
|2003||2003||AL||East||3rd||162||86||76||.531||15||Did not make the playoffs||Roy Halladay (CYA)|
|2004||2004||AL||East||5th||161||67||94||.416||33.5||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2005||2005||AL||East||3rd||162||80||82||.494||15||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2006||2006||AL||East||2nd||162||87||75||.537||10||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2007||2007||AL||East||3rd||162||83||79||.512||13||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2008||2008||AL||East||4th||162||86||76||.531||11||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2009||2009||AL||East||4th||162||75||87||.463||28||Did not make the playoffs||Aaron Hill (CPOY)|
|2010||2010||AL||East||4th||162||85||77||.525||11||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2011||2011||AL||East||4th||162||81||81||.500||16||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2012||2012||AL||East||4th||162||73||89||.451||22||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|2013||2013||AL||East||5th||162||74||88||.457||23||Did not make the playoffs||—|
|5,869||2,902||2,967||.494||All-time regular season record|
|41||21||20||.512||All-time post-season record|
|5,910||2,923||2,987||.495||All-time regular and post-season record|
Note: These statistics are current as of the end of the 2013 Major League Baseball season.
- a Each year is linked to an article about that particular MLB season.
- b Each year is linked to an article about that particular Blue Jays season.
- c The Finish column lists regular season results and excludes post-season play.
- d The Games column lists regular season totals and excludes post-season play. Although all teams are scheduled for the same number of games each season, variance in the number from year to year is possible due to games that are cancelled or postponed and not played later in the season, or due to tie-breakers played at the end of the season to determine playoff eligibility or seeding.
- e The Wins and Losses columns list regular season results and exclude post-season play. Regular and post-season records are combined only at the bottom of the list.
- f The GB column lists "Games Behind" the team that finished in first place in the division that season. It is determined by taking the difference in wins between this team and the first place team, adding the difference in losses between this team and the first place team, and dividing the sum by two.
- g ROY stands for Rookie of the Year.
- h Voting for the 1979 American League Rookie of the Year Award ended in a tie. Griffin shared the award with John Castino of the Minnesota Twins.
- j The 1981 season was shortened by a players' strike. MLB decided to split the season into two halves, with the division winner of each half playing in a divisional round of the playoffs.
- k ALCS stands for American League Championship Series.
- m MOY stands for Manager of the Year.
- n MVP stands for Most Valuable Player.
- p The Blue Jays played their final home game at Exhibition Stadium on May 28, 1989. They began play in the Rogers Centre (then SkyDome) on June 5, 1989.
- q The 1994 Major League Baseball strike ended the season on August 11, as well as cancelling the entire postseason.
- r The 1994 Major League Baseball strike caused the shortening of the 1995 season to 144 games.
- s CYA stands for Cy Young Award.
|East Division||Central Division||West Division|
|East Division||Central Division||West Division|