List of Pittsburgh Steelers first-round draft picks
This is a list of first-round draft picks made by the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League. The Pittsburgh Steelers, a professional American football team based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, participated in the first NFL Draft prior to the 1936 season. The franchise changed its name to the Steelers prior to the 1940 season, to represent the city's heritage of producing steel.
The event, which is officially known as the "Player Selection Meeting", is held each April. The draft is used as the primary means to distribute newly available talent (primarily from college football) equitably amongst the teams. Selections are made in reverse order based on the previous season's record, i.e. the club with the worst record from the previous season selects first. Through 2009, only two exceptions were made to this order: the Super Bowl champion always selects last (32nd), and the Super Bowl loser is awarded the penultimate (31st) pick. Beginning in 2010, teams making the playoffs will be seeded in reverse order depending upon how far they advance. The draft consists of seven rounds. Teams have the option of trading selections for players, cash and/or other selections (including future year selections). Thus, it is not uncommon for a team's actual draft pick to differ from their assigned draft pick, or for a team to have extra or no draft picks in any round due to these trades. The Steelers have traded away their first-round pick eight times; they have had two first-round selections in two drafts.
The Steelers' first selection in the inaugural NFL draft was William Shakespeare, a halfback from Notre Dame. The Steelers have selected first overall three times, drafting Bill Dudley in 1942, Gary Glick in 1956 and Terry Bradshaw in 1970. The team has selected second overall once, and third overall four times. Through 2009, seven Steeler first-round picks have gone on to have playing careers deemed worthy of enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Dudley, Len Dawson, Joe Greene, Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann and Rod Woodson. The team's most recent first-round selection was Ryan Shazier, a linebacker from Ohio State.
- Key 1
- Player selections 2
- Notes 3
- References 4
|1936||3||Shakespeare, WilliamWilliam Shakespeare||RB||Notre Dame|
|1937||5||Basrak, MikeMike Basrak||RB||Duquesne|
|1938||4||White, ByronByron White||RB||Colorado|
|1940||3||Eakin, KayKay Eakin||RB||Arkansas|
|1942||1||Dudley, BillBill Dudley*†||RB||Virginia|
|1943||7||Daley, BillBill Daley||FB||Minnesota|
|1944||10||Podesto, JohnnyJohnny Podesto||RB||St. Mary's (CA)|
|1945||2||Duhart, PaulPaul Duhart||RB||Florida|
|1946||3||Blanchard, DocDoc Blanchard||FB||Army|
|1947||5||Bechtol, HubHub Bechtol||WR||Texas|
|1948||9||Edwards, DanDan Edwards||WR||Georgia|
|1949||6||Gage, BobbyBobby Gage||RB||Clemson|
|1950||8||Chandnois, LynnLynn Chandnois||RB||Michigan State|
|1951||9||Avinger, ButchButch Avinger||FB||Alabama|
|1952||6||Modzelewski, EdEd Modzelewski||FB||Maryland|
|1953||5||Marchibroda, TedTed Marchibroda||QB||Detroit|
|1954||7||Lattner, JohnnyJohnny Lattner||RB||Notre Dame|
|1955||6||Varrichione, FrankFrank Varrichione||OT||Notre Dame|
|1956||1||Glick, GaryGary Glick*||QB||Colorado State||[c]|
|1956||5||Davis, ArtArt Davis||RB||Mississippi State|
|1957||5||Dawson, LenLen Dawson†||QB||Purdue|
|1960||6||Spikes, JackJack Spikes||FB||Texas Christian|
|1962||5||Ferguson, BobBob Ferguson||RB||Ohio State|
|1964||10||Martha, PaulPaul Martha||RB||Pittsburgh|
|1966||3||Leftridge, DickDick Leftridge||RB||WVU|
|1968||10||Taylor, MikeMike Taylor||OT||USC|
|1969||4||Greene, JoeJoe Greene†||DT||North Texas|
|1970||1||Bradshaw, TerryTerry Bradshaw*†||QB||Louisiana Tech|
|1971||8||Lewis, FrankFrank Lewis||WR||Grambling|
|1972||13||Harris, FrancoFranco Harris†||RB||Penn State|
|1973||4||Thomas, J. T.J. T. Thomas||DB||Florida State|
|1974||21||Swann, LynnLynn Swann†||WR||USC|
|1975||26||Brown, DaveDave Brown||DB||Michigan|
|1976||28||Cunningham, BennieBennie Cunningham||TE||Clemson|
|1977||21||Cole, RobinRobin Cole||LB||New Mexico|
|1978||22||Johnson, RonRon Johnson||DB||Eastern Michigan|
|1979||28||Hawthorne, GregGreg Hawthorne||RB||Baylor|
|1980||28||Malone, MarkMark Malone||QB||Arizona State|
|1981||17||Gary, KeithKeith Gary||DE||Oklahoma|
|1982||12||Abercrombie, WalterWalter Abercrombie||RB||Baylor|
|1983||21||Rivera, GabrielGabriel Rivera||DE||Texas Tech|
|1984||23||Lipps, LouisLouis Lipps||WR||Southern Mississippi|
|1985||20||Sims, DarrylDarryl Sims||DE||Wisconsin|
|1986||9||Rienstra, JohnJohn Rienstra||G||Temple|
|1987||10||Woodson, RodRod Woodson†||DB||Purdue|
|1988||18||Jones, AaronAaron Jones||DE||Eastern Kentucky|
|1989||7||Worley, TimTim Worley||RB||Georgia|
|1989||24||Ricketts, TomTom Ricketts||OT||Pittsburgh||[j]|
|1990||21||Green, EricEric Green||TE||Liberty||[k]|
|1991||15||Richardson, HueyHuey Richardson||DE||Florida|
|1992||11||Searcy, LeonLeon Searcy||OT||Miami|
|1993||23||Figures, DeonDeon Figures||DB||Colorado|
|1994||17||Johnson, CharlesCharles Johnson||WR||Colorado|
|1995||27||Bruener, MarkMark Bruener||TE||Washington|
|1996||29||Stephens, JamainJamain Stephens||OT||North Carolina A&T|
|1997||24||Scott, ChadChad Scott||DB||Maryland|
|1998||26||Faneca, AlanAlan Faneca||G||LSU|
|1999||13||Edwards, TroyTroy Edwards||WR||Louisiana Tech|
|2000||8||Burress, PlaxicoPlaxico Burress||WR||Michigan State|
|2001||19||Hampton, CaseyCasey Hampton||DT||Texas||[l]|
|2002||30||Simmons, KendallKendall Simmons||G||Auburn|
|2003||16||Polamalu, TroyTroy Polamalu||DB||USC||[m]|
|2004||11||Roethlisberger, BenBen Roethlisberger||QB||Miami (OH)|
|2005||30||Miller, HeathHeath Miller||TE||Virginia|
|2006||25||Holmes, SantonioSantonio Holmes||WR||Ohio State||[n]|
|2007||15||Timmons, LawrenceLawrence Timmons||LB||Florida State|
|2008||23||Mendenhall, RashardRashard Mendenhall||RB||Illinois|
|2009||32||Hood, EvanderEvander Hood||DT||Missouri|
|2010||18||Pouncey, MaurkiceMaurkice Pouncey||C||Florida|
|2011||31||Heyward, CameronCameron Heyward||DE||Ohio State|
|2012||24||Decastro, DavidDavid DeCastro||G||Stanford|
|2013||17||Jones, JarvisJarvis Jones||LB||Georgia|
|2014||15||Shazier, RyanRyan Shazier||LB||Ohio State|
- a The Steelers traded their 1939 pick (2nd overall) to the Chicago Bears.
- b The Steelers traded their 1941 pick (3rd overall) to the Chicago Bears (3rd overall)
- c This was a lottery bonus pick.
- d The Steelers traded their 1958 pick (8th overall) to the San Francisco 49ers.
- e The Steelers traded their 1959 pick (8th overall) to the San Francisco 49ers.
- f The Steelers traded their 1961 pick (6th overall) to the San Francisco 49ers.
- g The Steelers traded their 1963 pick (11th overall) to the Chicago Bears.
- h The Steelers traded their 1965 pick (3rd overall) to the Chicago Bears.
- i The Steelers traded their 1967 pick (9th overall) to the Green Bay Packers.
- j The Steelers acquired the 1989 pick (24th overall) from the Minnesota Vikings.
- k The Steelers traded their 1990 pick (17th overall) to the Dallas Cowboys for Dallas' 1990 pick (21st overall, obtained from Minnesota Vikings) and a third-round pick (82nd overall, obtained from San Francisco 49ers).
- l The Steelers traded their 2001 pick (16th overall) to the New York Jets for their first-round pick (19th overall), their fourth-round pick (111th overall) and their sixth-round pick (181st overall).
- m The Steelers traded their first-round pick (27th overall), third round pick (92nd overall) and sixth round pick (200th overall) to obtain the 2003 pick (16th overall).
- n The Steelers obtained the 2006 pick from New York Giants by trading their first-round pick (32nd overall), their third round pick (96th overall) and their fourth round pick (129th overall).
- "NFL Draft History: Full Draft – by Team". NFL.com. Retrieved June 5, 2008.
- "Steelers' All Time Draft History". Pittsburgh Steelers. Retrieved June 11, 2008.
- "Steelers' History". Pittsburgh Steelers. Retrieved April 27, 2008.
- Branch, John (April 9, 2000). "The 2000 Liars Club/ Draft makes Broncos coach cloak intentions".
- Duffy, Mike (March 26, 2009). "New Draft Order, More Rule Changes". BaltimoreRavens.com. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Alder, James. "NFL Draft Basics:Determining Order of Selection".
- "Steelers' All Time Draft History". Pittsburgh Steelers. Retrieved 2008-06-11.
- "Hall of Famers by Franchise". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Archived from the original on May 1, 2008. Retrieved May 28, 2008.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1939". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1941". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1956". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1958". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1959". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1961". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1963". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1965". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1967". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "Pro Football Draft History: 1989". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "2001 NFL Draft weekend trades". cnnsi.com (CNN). Retrieved May 5, 2007.
- "2003 NFL Draft trades". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- "2006 NFL Draft Trader". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-07-04.